I have a diastasis recti, 8-9 fingers wide, If I have surgery now, will I be able to have more kids later?

I have a diastasis recti, currently 8-9 fingers wide, mostly on the upper abdominals. I've done physical therapy for almost a year (it was 12 fingers before) and the therapist says I need surgery. I'm 29 with 2 kids and would like to have more. If I have surgery to fix this, will I be able to have more kids later?I am overweight and not sure how that effects everything. My blood pressure and cholesterol is in healthy ranges and my diet is good as well.

You can have the diastasis repaired without harming future pregnancies, but it may make more sense to wait until you have finished children.

A physical exam would be necessary to make a determination about the appropriate intervention.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

I definitely think that you should wait until you're done having children as this issue might not be subtle for your case as is. Speak to your surgeon and find out what other options you might have.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Diastasis recti 8 to 9 fingers wide

With a "diastasis recti" 8 to 9 fingers wide I would recommend you have this evaluated to be certain it is not actually a hernia. I personally don't recommend a tummy tuck procedure until you no longer plan on having more children. It is counter intuitive to undergo the expense, risks and recovery of an abdominoplasty if the results will be mostly reversed with future pregnancies. I would advise you to be patient, enjoy having more children, and then reap the long term benefits of a tummy tuck.

Diastasis Repair and Future Pregnancy

Your diastasis can be repaired with an abdominoplasty with rectus muscle plication.  It all depends what your acute goals are.  If you plan to have children then the option that would make the most sense would be to wait and then have the surgery performed.  If you want to have your tummy tuck now with rectus plication, then you just need to understand that you may have recurrent diastasis and looseness of your tummy.  I would also advise my patients to loose weight prior to body contouring if possible.  

Best of Luck

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Repair of Diastasis does not impair future pregnancies

Repairing of diastasis does not impact future pregnancies.  However diastasis will happen again with pregnancy.  Thus it is better to wait till you have had all your children.

In an overweight individual we recommend loosing weight prior to operation.  You can not have a good repair if you are overweight.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Diastasis and tummy tuck

Yes you can have surgery to have it corrected.  However if you are planning to have children soon I would suggest waiting as further pregnancies will likely undo the work that was done during the tummy tuck.  There is a caveat, however, if you watch your weight during pregnancy and continue to work out then I have had pt who do not need anything done after pregnancy.

Good luck

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

More children after a tummy tuck

Good question with several potential answers.  To answer the question directly, I would say yes, you could have more children after a tummy tuck.  But the other question is whether you should wait until you are done having children or if you should loose more weight before having a tummy tuck.  As is often the case, exercise alone can make the abdominal muscles stronger and even shorter, but will not bring them back to the middle.  The plication sutures of a tummy tuck will bring them back to the middle where they will not only look better, but will function better.  If you have another pregnancy, it is difficult to predict if they will stay in the middle or stretch out a little or a lot.  If you plan to have more children soon, I would recommend waiting for the tummy tuck until you are done.  If you plan to have more children many years from now, you could have the tummy tuck knowing you may need or want a revision later.  An in person consultation will help answer these types of questions as well as assess whether a person should loose more weight first.  

Eric Mariotti, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon