Can you have multiple surgeries if you have asthma?

I wanted to know can you have a tummy tuck, brazilan butt lift with fat grafting around the hips, and a breast lift

Surgery with Asthma

Asthma should not prevent you from having the surgery you desire if it is controlled well and you are otherwise in good health. Consult with your asthma doctor.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Asthma and Multiple Procedures

Astma is not a contraindication of surgery. You should have medical clearance from your pulmonologist, internist, or family doctor. There are many degrees of asthma.

In general, the less operative time, the less anesthesia time, and the less post operative recovery. Anesthesia can be general anesthesia with a endotracheal tube or IV sedation. Your surgeon and Board Certified Anesthesiologist should confer as to the best anesthesia for you. An anesthesiologist can perform a TAP Block which will decrease post operative pain.

In my practice, I do my surgery as outpatient surgery in an accredited medicare approved surgicenter and try to keep the combination of procedures to be less than a 4 hour procedure.

One caveat: I performed a rhinoplasty on a 22 year old male with asthma. The procedure went very well without complication. Two years later, this young man died from an asthmatic attack, which was unrelated to the surgery. Point being, things happen. Be prepared. Dot your i and your t and be in the best shape possible for surgery.

Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Asthma and Body Contouring Procedures

Asthma is not a contraindication to any form or combinations of plastic surgery as long as it is well controlled before the procedure. General anesthesia and an oral endotracheal tube can be a stimulus for reactive airway disease and you may need some breathing treatments afterwards. Your asthma history and current medications for it should be reviewed and discussed with an anesthesiologist long before your procedure date.

Multiple Cosmetic Proceedures with Asthma

If your asthma is mild and rarely a problem, then these procedures should be safe. Before surgery you should ask that specific question of both your surgeon and the doctor who treats your asthma.

William A. Terranova, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

I would certainly not recommend it .
You will be required a  pulmonary evaluation before surgery and if it is good, you can safely  get two procedures to start . (Breast + tummy or Back + Tummy )
Never , ever jeopardize your health ... surgical stress is higher with every procedure and may trigger an asthma crisis during or after your surgery.
The decision will also depend on how bad is your asthma situation , your weight and height and if there are any other health conditions present before surgery.
Asthma patients get surgery done every day , with the proper pre operative clearance and post operative follow up , there should be no problems.
Best wishes 

Katherine Feliz Camilo, MD

Thank you for the question. Well-controlled asthma is not a contraindication to elective plastic surgery. Obviously, you will want to proceed with the surgery once your pulmonary condition is optimized. Best to check with the doctors who manage your asthma prior to proceeding. Best wishes.

Asthma and Surgery

If your asthma is optimally controlled the risk is very small and you can undergo major surgery without significant asthma complications. Most anesthesiologists I have worked with will recommend that you take your asthma medicine the prior to surgery with a sip of water and bring your inhalers to the surgery center. In addition, steroids are given just prior to anesthesia in most patients any way which helps prevent asthmatic complications.
On the other hand, if your asthma is poorly controlled, or you are steroid-dependent, you are at increased risk and therefore it is recommended that your asthma specialist provide any needed specific medical preparation prior to surgery including a written plan to give to your surgeon and anesthesiologist regarding asthma medication recommendations pre- and post-surgery. This will include a complete pre-surgical evaluation including pulmonary function test results, physical examination, and review of your medications and past medical problems. If your pulmonary function tests are not optimal your asthma doctor and/or anesthesiologist may choose to postpone surgery until your asthma is under optimal control prior to giving surgical clearance. In addition, it is advisable that you contact that anesthesiologist beforehand to discuss any issues that might arise and their management. . This is because surgery may cause an asthma flare or related bronchospasm during or immediately after surgery. Make sure you tell the anesthesiologist and your surgeon the amount and type of steroids you take so additional steroids can be given to prevent adrenal insufficiency which can result in a sudden blood pressure drop.

#asthma
#breastimplantswithasthma

Multiple procedures in an asthmatic.

Having multiple procedures is possible.  This would depend on how severe your asthma is.  Prior to any procedure we would require clearance from your physician who manages your asthma.  We would make sure that it is well controlled. The procedures you are interested in can be performed together safely. however the final decision would be made during a consultation to determine if this would be safe or if the surgeries should performed at different times.

William H. Sabbagh, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon