My belly button is almost completely closed after tummy tuck, is it ok if it stays closed? What should I do? (photo)

Almost 8 years ago I had a tummy tuck. Since the surgery my belly button opening has always been very small. Recently my belly button was infected. After doing research it seemed I had a yeast infection in my belly button. I cleaned it 2-4 a day with warm saline the infection is clearing up. But now my belly button is almost completely closed. For the past year I have lived in a third world country and am a little hesitant to go to a Dr here. Please help

My belly button is almost completely closed after tummy tuck, is it ok if it stays closed? What should I do?

You need a reconstruction of your belly button via a multiple flap technique under local anesthesia. Fee from $2500. See your TT surgeon to do fore you..

Closed Belly Button After TT

From the picture and without a good history and physical examination, it appears that your plastic surgeon did not use an umbilical stalk during your abdominoplasty and elected to close the umbilicus (belly button) primarily.

Consult your plastic surgeon, who knows you and your surgery and/or get a second opinion from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

The disappearing belly button.

You will need to get this fixed. The skin inside your belly button will slough like normal skin does. This will build up over time and reinfect. keep it open with some sort of gauze until you can get to a qualified surgeon, but do not lose the gauze inside your belly button. The gauze will wick out the moisture that would lead to infection.

David Janssen, MD, FACS
Oshkosh Plastic Surgeon

Constricted Belly Button Repair

It is possible to repair a narrowed or constricted belly button by a minor surgical procedure under local anesthesia.  Most plastic surgeons are able to do this in a treatment room or small office based surgical suite.

If the original opening was made too small or of the wound did not heal properly, constriction can occur.  An infection is also a common cause.  A repair is done for more than aesthetic reasons.  A narrow umbilicus is difficult to clean and will be prone to future infections as well.  Once it is healed, you should seek out a surgeon who is able to repair it.  You should have very little down time.  Good luck.

Closed belly button

From the photographs you submitted, it would appear that the bellybutton has been completely closed off because of scar tissue. Underneath the scar, in the base of the belly button, there is some trapped skin.   Bacteria and yeast that are naturally found on the skin get trapped and will it's likely to get reinfected. I would recommend a small in office procedure, under local anesthesia to correct the problem.

Michael Zarrabi, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Belly button

Obviously you need to be seen and examined by a board certified PS.  The good news is the problem probably can be fixed though it may require further surgery

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD