How important are the massages after a BBL surgery?

Hi. I think post-op lymphatic massges are key to a successful result. Its not just a "massage". You need to find someone who is certified in lymphatic drainage. This will definitely help in reducing the swelling and post op areas of firmness that will appear. Good luck.

Dr. PG

Massages after BBL

Massages are not necessary after a BBL procedure. It can expedite the inflammation process but is not necessary.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Thank you for your question. The lymphatic massages after a liposuction and BBL surgery are to quicken recovery, and maximize surgical results. Mostly this massages are for the areas where liposuction have taken place. That said, you definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. Best is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure. 

BBL and massage

I do not routinely recommend massage to my patients after a BBL, but sometimes there are indications to do so.  Best to ask your doctor his thoughts.

Massages after liposuction

I personally do not believe that massages are important after liposuction/BBL and I do not have my patients do it, but there are surgeons who believe in it and recommend it.  I do not think it can hurt, I just do not think it changes the end result, so I don't recommend that my patients spend time and money on it.   However, since I do not believe it can change or adversely affect the result, I don't have a problem with patients doing it if they want.

Samir S. Rao, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Post OP Care

I feel very strongly that post op massages are essential in the recovery of liposuction and BBL cases.   The congestion that occurs in the lymphatic system can lead to areas of prolonged swelling.  We include postoperative massages with our surgery because I believe that not only does it speed recovery, but it leads to better results. 

BBL and massage therapy.

BBL involves liposuction of multiple areas to obtain the fat for transfer. I do not believe that massage therapy is necessary, but there are surgeons that do recommend massage of the donor site. What is more important is to avoid any pressure on the buttocks for 2 weeks after the transfer, this includes laying on your back or sitting.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon