Juvederm instead of Botox for chin?

I've had a two really bad experiences with Botox to treat a pebble or cobblestone chin. My friend has the same issue and says she had one syringe of juvederm placed in her chin and it smoothed out her wrinkles without the need for Botox. Is this true? Can I achieve a more smooth chin with juvederm instead of Botox? Botox near the mouth area has too many risks invovled and I'd rather not use it anymore. The only issue is my wrinkles are more apparent when I eat/talk.

Botox vs Juvederm

The best advice this Board can give you is to examine you on animation. Even a static photo will not be accurate. If you have cobblestones it is due to muscle recruitment- Botox can decrease this. If you have depressions, lines or need contouring Juvederm will address this. The majority of my work on the lower 1/3 of the face combines Botox with Juvederm- Restylane for optimal results. All the bestDr Davin LimBrisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Pebble Chin Treatment- Botox in combination with fillers, Juvederm

Treatment for pebble chin is Botox injected into the mentalis muscle. If you have loss of volume in the chin, Botox can be combined with fillers to bring volume and smoothness to the area. I suggest consulting with a board certified dermatologist for evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Juvederm or Botox For Chin?

Juvederm can cover or camouflage depression or dents, Botox prevents muscle movement which causes creases and folds. Only a physical examination would be able to determine what is best for you. What works for your friend may not be the solution for you. Some individuals need one or the other or both!

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Botox and filler injection for chin augmentation

I often find that in patients with inadequate volume or support in the chin, the mentalis muscle overworks. That is probably why filler injected into these patients improves the cobble-stoning seen with an overactive mentalis muscle. I often inject both fillers and Botox in combination treatments to address the chin. When I do combine fillers such as Juvederm UltraPlus or Voluma with Botox, the amount of Botox I tend to use is less. You will probably require less Botox if you had filler injected in your chin. I recommend you discuss your case with an experienced injector. 

Botox or juvederm

A reason that some people develop a pebble or golf ball appearance to the chin can be from excessive muscle strain due to poorly supported soft tissue ( due to less bony prominence ). That explaines why both Botox and a filler may be reasonable alternatives to treat the same problem. I would decide based on your appearance. If a little augmentation in the chin area would be flattering that is the direction I would try. If you have had a poor experience with Botox in the past please elaborate why this is so with the injector you are seeing.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Cobblestone Chin

Usually Botox is the best treatment for cobblestone chin.  The key is to use a low amount (I usually use 5 units total).  I do two injections into the mentalis muscle, near the midline and low on the chin.  You can always add more if needed.  Injection technique is the most important variable when you are considering either Botox or fillers.  You might want to see another injector with expertise in this area.  Fillers might also be an option for you, but I can't say without seeing a picture.
Regards,
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Chin wrinkles

Thank you for your question.  Juvederm can help to replace volume loss.  If you have a loss of volume in the chin this could help.  However, if the chin wrinkles are mostly with movement, then Botox would be the best way to improve this cosmetic concern.  A combination of both procedures may give you a better benefit.  I recommend for you to see an experienced doctor who is familiar with injecting Botox in the chin. 

Lisa Zaleski-Larsen, DO, FAAD
San Diego Dermatologist

Wrinkles in chin treatment

If the wrinkles occur with movement, the only good treatment is Botox. It needs to be placed by an experienced injector or you can have problems with movement of the lower lip. Filler works for volume loss and might be helpful but without pictures, I can't advise.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Juvederm vs botox

I have found for the chin that both Botox and Juvederm can be very helpful and effective depending on the nature of your wrinkles.  If they are more prominent with movement, the Botox is more likely to be helpful.  If they are present at rest, Juvederm is probably a better choice.  Good luck

Scott K. Thompson, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox / Juvederm in the chin area

Thank you for your question. I will often use Juvederm in the chin area to help smooth it out - but it all depends. If you notice the dimpling more when you speak and eat, rather than when you are at rest, then botox is probably your best bet. If placed directly into the mentalis muscle and at small doses (4-6 units), you should not really have any adverse effects on speech or smiling. So, either treatment is an option. If you haven't had the best results with botox, then perhaps it's time to try a filler and see if you like those results more. Best of luck!