Double chin appearance from chin fillers? What is this? (photos)

I had Juvederm injected into my chin almost two weeks ago and loved it. Now when I take a profile picture there's a strange "bubble". Is this because the chin filler elongates where my Normal chin ends? I'm confused what causes it. I've never had a double chin in my life and haven't gained any weight either.

Swelling after chin filler injection

Typically after a chin augmentation with filler, a double chin is either unchanged or improved. I have never seen it worsen, or create, a double chin. The only other possibility is that there can be swelling under the chin (but not as far back as the bulge you are showing) for a short period of time after treatment, but this tends to resolve after a couple of weeks. I would return to your injector so that you can compare before and after photos. 

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Double chin appearance from chin fillers? What is this?

Posted photo DOES NOT demonstrate the issue well. Best to seek paid in person consultations. Might offer either KyBella injections 1 session $900, or ThermiSmooth 250 RFsessions (#4 @ $300per).

Double chin appearance from chin fillers

Thank you for sharing your experience and photograph.  You do appear to have a nice chin augmentation after Juvederm but I can see your area of concern.  Without before photographs to asses your appearance this fullness may be the result of swelling from your filler injections, a fatty deposit, or differences in the angle of your face relative to your neck in other photographs.  See your injector for an in-person evaluation.  This most commonly is a small amount of adipose tissue that can be treated with liposuction or the new injectable Kybella.  Hope this helps.

Juvederm Results - If Unhappy, Reverse with Hyaluronidase

I would suggest waiting at least two weeks before determining final outcome as Juvederm can cause bruising and swelling after being injected. It is most important to seek treatment from an experienced injector. If you are unhappy with the results, hyaluronidase can be used to reverse it.  Best, Dr. Emer

Chin filler

Your chin looks nice! However, what you are pointing to looks to me like submental fat/fullness. Filler injected in the chin and along the jawline can migrate during injection if the physician is not careful in placing the filler. But if he/she was injecting the anterior chin in your case, it would be really hard for the filler to migrate so posteriorly. 

Often, I find that patients take a closer look at themselves after filler or Botox injection and then start see things that they may not have previously noticed. It would be interesting to compare a before photo to see if you did infact have some submental fat. If you did, no problem as this can easily be treated with Kybella, new injectable available on the market. 

Go see your injector and have him show you before and after photos.

Shaun Patel, MD
Miami Physician