Bandage or not days after a lower facelift and necklift?

I live in Denmark. Here the doctor send you home from FL surgery without bandage. The first day/ night in the clinic youwear one but after that nothing is worn ( nostrap no nothing). My doctor ( s leading one in Norhern Europe) says that there is no proof of this helping against swelling. He just says that it 'hides' the problem for the doctor / pstient becsuse you dont have to look at the swelling.

Bandages after facelift

Thank you for your question. Facelift surgery does not necessarily require use of bandages. Many surgeons do, however, used bandage aiming to reduce bruising. I personally do not use bandages for my facelift patients. Instead, I take a little extra time during the operation to ensure small areas of bleeding have been carefully cauterised. Bandages do not always necessarily prevent possible swelling. I do not use bandage or drains and have pioneered The Concept Facelift, having a 0% incident rate of hematoma.  It is important to focus more on the results of your surgeon as illustrated in their pre & post operative facelift patients. Do you like their results, will the surgeon meet your expectations, is the facility where you are going to have your surgery performed accredited? These might be much more important. I do not think the use of drains /bandages or not drains/bandages would reflect the surgeons ability. All The Best

Dressings after face lifts can vary

The type of bandage worn after face lift surgery depends on the surgeon. Many surgeons place a head wrap for the first night after surgery and then convert to a wrap that goes under the chin and secures at the top of the head. Some surgeons use no dressings after face lift surgery. Your doctor is correct, there is no study showing that a bandage worn days after face lift helps decrease swelling. Practically speaking, they do give at least some compression and support to the area under the chin and probably do no harm except inconvenience. In summary, trust your surgeon follow his/her post op instructions.

Chin straps after surgery

Dear Nacklyft,
It is very common to use a Velcro chin strap or bandaging following facelift and neck lift surgery. For the vast majority of patients following facelift or neck lift surgery there is indeed no evidence that this helps. Many people do, however, like the dressing as it gives them a sense of comfort and support. I personally use a dressing in cases which have had a very significant droop and elevation of tissue in the neck and let my patients decide if they would like the dressing or not in most other cases.

Bandage after Facelift

I use a pressure dressing after a facelift for compression.  I believe compression will help with the swelling and will decrease the change of developing fluid underneath the skin.  This fluid can be a collection of blood or something called a seroma.  

Facelift bandage

In our practice, we also use a bandage for Face/Neck lift only overnight.  I believe you should follow your surgeon's recommendation.

Edwin Moreano, MD

Post op bandage

I agree with your doctor; the deep tissues maintain the shape and the skin adheres to the deep tissues.

Some fluid can accumulate so a drain or perhaps tissue glue are usually employed.

If these were not used perhaps the dressing provides the adherence between skin and muscle.

Hope this helps

Andrew Kornstein, MD, FACS