Should my face still be peeling after a month from a microdermabrasion? (Photo)

I got a microdermabrasion last month and two weeks after the procedure, I noticed my face feeling extremely dry. I used bio oil, shea butter or some times olive oil, but a few hours later, it will feel dry again. The dryness went away but left me with discoloration around my lips and my face is still peeling slightly. Will the discoloration go away? Is it normal to still be peeling after a month of the procedure?

Microdermabrasion Peeling

Microdermabrasion is a superficial exfoliating procedure that results in minimal downtime. It is extremely unlikely that the peeling would begin 2 weeks after the treatment and persist for this long. Perhaps you are experiencing dryness from weather changes or using an anti-acne product. Additionally, shea butter and olive oil are not intended for facial moisturizing, so while your skin feels moisturized temporarily it will not give you lasting benefits. Please consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to find effective, customized skin care. The doctor will also guide you to finding a good lightening option for your hyperpigmentation. 

McLean Dermatologic Surgeon

Unusual Contra-action

Hi

With Microdermabrasion the dryness and peeling usually last 1 week maximum. It is unusual for these symtoms to persist. I would revisit your clinic for a follow up appointment. Regarding your Hyper pigmentation make sure you are applying and sunscreen daily and look into Dr Obagi/ZO products. The range includes creams for bleaching the skin. This is somthing you will need to be guided through so make sure you find a rputable stockist and have regular follow up appointments.

Hope this helps

Chien C. Kat, FRCS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Face peeling

Thank you for your question, typically post procedure affects normally last 1 week . Affects are but not uncommon to slight peeling and or redness. Typically these symptoms go away leaving a smooth even complexion. As with any procedure it always best to have a thorough skin care consultation with a board certified Dermatologist to asses your skin care needs. As far as the hyperpigmentation that has transpired, there are a myriad of lighting agents on the market that have clinical results showing overall improvement of tone and texture. Check with your local Dermatologist office.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Peeling after microdermabrasion

It is unusual for skin to continue peeling months after microdermabrasion. I would make a check-up appointment with your provider to evaluate your case. The scars on your face seem like acne scars, and those can be easily treated with Picosure laser. Best of luck!

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Microdermabrasion

Hi thanks for your question.microdermabrsion is a very gentle procedure that exfoliates only the very superficial layer .For 3 days post procedure dry flaks of dead cells and redness will be seen which is considered normal,as .in your case in spite of using liberal moisturiser you continue to peel with discoloration is a must do revisit you provider and get it treated.please do consult a board certified dermatologist and get treated for your brown spots left behind post acne inflammation,hope this helps.

Karthik Ram, MRCS, DNB
India Plastic Surgeon