Why did my PS tell me to not wear a bra after my breast reduction surgery?

I woke up from surgery expecting to be in bandages or in a surgical bra, but it was neither. I had dressings and tape over the areas that were working on but for the most part I could see my whole chest. when I left the next day my PS said no bra, at all. Everything Im reading is saying that I need to be wearing a bra all the time.Why is this and is it going to hurt me in the long run? I have no stitched or anything just glue that was removed 5 days after surgery along with my drains.

Told not to wear a bra after my breast reduction surgery.

There is no standard use of a bra after breast reduction, though we do prefer one for support and comfort. If you feel better in one a stretch bra without underwire should be comfortable for you and will not interfere with your recovery.

No Bra After Breat Reduction Surgery?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your decision to undergo #breast reduction surgery. Each surgeon has his or her own routine so you should, of course, check with your surgeon on this.
I usually recommend that the patient stay in a supportive surgerical #bra for the first few weeks. In fact, many patients like it since it provides some extra support and a sense of protection. 

If you feel that you need more #support or wonder why your surgeon had given you the instructions that they did, you have every right to ask questions. Good luck!

There are no standards as to what kind of bra you should wear post op but many patients feel much more comfortable with a bra without underwires which might affect the scars

Charles Nduka, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.
There is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. Therefore, best to check with your plastic surgeon in regards to his/her rationale.  
For example, in my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place.  This surgical bra,  although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast scars have reached maturation and patients have full sensation along the breast skin.   Best wishes.