Can regular Juvederm be used in cheeks just like Juvederm voluma?

I had 1 syringe of juvederm voluma placed in my cheeks awhile ago and loved the results. I'm going in to get something else done with regular juvederm and the office told me if I buy a second syringe it will be discounted. I was thinking about buying that second one for my cheeks. That would be significantly cheaper than if I did voluma again. Will the regular juvederm give a similar result to the voluma if injected in the cheek area?

Difference Between Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Voluma

While different dermal fillers are commonly used "off label" to treat areas for which they do not have specific FDA approval, there is a good reason why Juvederm Voluma, Restylane Lyft and other "thicker" fillers are used for facial contouring:  Juvederm Ultra and Restylane are made up of smaller particles, which makes them more suitable for filling fine surface lines in the skin; while Juvederm Voluma and Restylane Lyft are specifically engineered with a larger particle size to provide a contouring/ lifting effect.  To summarize: Juvederm and Restylane can be used in the cheeks (off label) but will not give you the same contouring results as Voluma or Lyft and will not last as long.

Washington Dermatologic Surgeon

Using Regular Juvederm In The Cheeks

You can inject any filler anywhere, but that doesn't mean it will give you a good result. You will need to inject multiple syringes of Juvederm into your cheeks to get near the results that Voluma or Restylane Lyft will give you. Even then it probably won't last as long. Cheek volumization needs a filler that is bulkier than regular Juvederm. Hope this helps answer your question.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Juvederm in the cheeks

Hi afgf, it is possible to use Juvederm in the cheeks. However, it is not as robust as Voluma and will not likely give you the degree of improvement or longevity that Voluma will give you. 

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello Afgf,

Juvederm can be used in the cheeks.  However, it will not last as long or provide as nice of a result.  Although Voluma is more expensive, the way it is made it will last longer which makes it more cost effective in the long term. 

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Robust Volumizing Fillers Work Best & Last Longer For Nonsurgical Cheek Augmentation & Contouring

The short answer to the question of whether plain Juvederm can be used for cheek augmentation is "yes." A more complete answer is that it's not what I would choose to do for myself or my family. It is simply not robust enough to give sufficient lift, it attracts water to it (so there is a risk of unnecessary prolonged edema), and it doesn't last that long. 

Voluma XC, on the other hand,  is robust, provides the necessary lift, does not significantly attract water, and lasts up to two years. It's your face; you have to live with it, and the world is going to see it on a daily basis. In my opinion, it is not an area to risk being penny-wise and pound foolish. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Hi, I have performed many cheek augmentations using a dermal filler (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or with cheek implants for a permanent enhancement.  You can use Juvederm but IMHO, that's not quite thick enough to mold and shape the cheek, chin or mandibular angle which is why I prefer using Restylane Lyft.  I have heard some rumors of unwanted side effects with Voluma so I choose not to use that dermal filler.  Hope this helps.  

Cheek Fillers

Thank you for the question.  In my opinion, Voluma is the best filler for cheeks.  The next choice would be either Restylane or Restylane Lyft.  Juvederm is a great filler, but it tends to attract more fluid than either Voluma or the Restylane products.  For that reason it is fine for some people in the cheek area (it does give you less cheek lift for the amount used), but should be avoided if you tend to get lower eyelid swelling.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvederm in Cheeks

Voluma and Restylane Lyft are the 2 FDA approved fillers for the mid-face/cheeks.  Many offices will use Juvederm Ultra or Ultra Plus off label in other areas in the face.  Juvederm Ultra Plus will give you more of a lifting capacity compared to Juvederm Ultra.  However, Voluma will give you the most.  

Scott Greenberg, MD

Juvederm in cheeks

Juvederm Ultra can be used off-label in the cheeks.  It has less lifting capacity than Voluma but can still give improvement.  In most offices, Juvederm Ultra is quite a bit less expensive than Voluma.  However, it may not last as long as Voluma.  Other products that you could consider for more lift are Juvederm Ultra Plus or Restylane Lyft.  I use a lot of Restylane Lyft in my practice.  It has a high G prime for excellent lifting effect and it is a great value for my patients.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Only Voluma has FDA clearance for the midface, but people have been using Juvederm in the cheeks for some time. Juvederm is more hydrophilic meaning it can look a little puffy so I would not recommend using it close to your lower lid (like a tear trough) or under a festoon if you have one . For additional volume in the apple of this cheek it won't have quite the impact of Voluma (because it has less G Prime or lifting effect) , but if your injector is good and they think it is reasonable, go for it. Perhaps they can also apply the savings to a syringe of Voluma as well if you would rather use that.
Good luck

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon