Can you have your period (active bleeding) or be about to have your period during Liposuction? (photo)

I think I might be on my period during my procedure! I'm anxious and not sure if this is a problem or will result in issues.

Menstruation and lipo

Hello and thank you for your question. This is a good question because many women will have this issue and have had this issue in my experience. The good news is that yes, surgery can still be done! As long as your preoperative blood counts (hemoglobin) were of no concern then being on your period should not be a problem for surgery. Make sure to let the plastic surgeon know that this is the case so he can tell you how he would like you to handle it (tampon vs pad). The important thing to remember is....If you place a tampon before surgery, make sure to take it out at the appropriate time. You will likely be drowsy and a little out of it after surgery so you want to make sure that the tampon does not stay in too long because if it does it can make you sick. Hope this helps!

Ankur Mehta MD

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Menstruation during surgery

Thank you for your question! Many patients call the day before surgery is scheduled and want to know if they should reschedule their surgery because they have started their cycle. The answer to the question is no.  There is no reason to reschedule the surgery and it can be completed safely.  In general there is very little blood loss during cosmetic surgery with the exception of liposuction (large volume), and even here the amount is easily manageable. If you have been taking Advil or one of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory preparations you will likely bruise more. Concerning the pain level, I have noticed that some women are a bit more sensitive during their cycle, however, this should not be a major concern. Best of luck on your surgery!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Period during lipo or other procedure

I have recommended patients to have the procedure done when they feel comfortable and secure.  This procedure is elective and it can be done at that time of month, however it is purely your decision.  Hope that helps

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Can you have your period (active bleeding) or be about to have your period during Liposuction?

Though inconvenient, this can easily be handled as long as your surgical and nursing team are aware of your menstruation during the procedure.  Enjoy the results of your surgery,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Liposuction Facts

Yes, it is safe to have liposuction while on your period. I recommend adding lymphatic massage and hyperbaric oxygen along with your compression in order to reduce the swelling. Get a hi def contouring procedure for the best outcome!  Best, Dr. Emer

Menstruation and surgery

Thanks for your inquiry.  It is safe to have menstrual bleeding and have surgery.  It can be inconvenient with girdles and dressings, but this too is manageable.  Good Luck.  

Liposuction when you have your period

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

Your question is very reasonable but having your period will not affect your liposuction or your result. Go right ahead, no worries!

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Menstrual Period....

Greetings,

Having your  menstrual period around the time of your surgery shouldn't have effects on the procedure or outcome of the surgery.

Have an excellent day!

Alicia Sigler, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon