How do I know if I was injected into Sculptra or something else like ArteFill? (Photo)

7 months ago I was injected only 1 vial Sculptra by a board certified plastic surgeon and this was my first injection . I'm very disfigured and I can still feel the soreness comes and goes. The volume is still growing. I've had several kenalog shots and 5FU shots, but after about 2 months my face would plumped again and the volume all came back. All doctors couldn't believe only 1 vial made disfiguration like this .How do I know what was injected?

Doctor Answers 5

Needs repeat injection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The Sculptra is still stimulating collagen and will continue to need repeated kenalog/5FU injections.  Artefill would more likely cause localized granulomas.

How to know if Sculptra or something else was injected?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You would need to contact the office where you were treated to find out what was injected into your face.  If you cannot find this information by speaking with the office, you could request a copy of your medical records to check.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Sculptra and Results

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If you have concerns that you were not injected with the correct filler, and feel uncomfortable discussing this with your dermatologist, I suggest you seek treatment from an alternative board certified dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 203 reviews

Which filler used...

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately the only way to determine which filler was used is to ask the physician who injected you as they legally need to keep detailed medical records.  If you are wary to ask them you can have another doctors office request the medical records for you.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

How to Know What Filler Was Used

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You can call the physician’s office where you were treated and ask them what was injected into your face. If they will not tell you then request a copy of your medical records.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.