When is driving safe after a Tummy Tuck?

I had my TT and lipo on 11/2. Have one drainer that will be removed tomorrow. For the past two days I've only been taking pain meds at bedtime. When is it safe for me to drive short distances?

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure. Most patients ( assuming they are off “mind altering” medications and can respond to an emergency quickly) are able to drive 2 to 3 weeks after tummy tuck surgery.  Best wishes.

Driving after tummy tuck?

Thanks for your questions.  I recommend that my patients not drive until they are comfortable behind the wheel and turning side to side without any narcotic pain medication.  Typically this is between 10-14 days after surgery, which you are approaching.

My best advice would be to get behind the wheel after being off narcotic pain medicine at least 8 hours (you may take ibuprofen/tylenol if approved by your surgeon previously), and go through all the motions of driving, putting seat belt on, etc to see if you can do them without major discomfort.  If so, also please check with your surgeon, as they may have specific and different recommendations than the above due to your anatomy/specific procedure performed.

Best wishes!

Dr. Brown

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Driving after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  Always best to check with your surgeon for specifics, but in my practice I tell patients they can drive after about a week, as long as they are not taking any sedative medications (narcotic pain pills or muscle relaxants) before driving.  Good luck. 

Driving after Tummy Tuck

Hi

Thank you for your question. I do not recommend that my patients drive until they are off of all their pain medications.To be on the safe side you may want to have someone drive you. Contact your plastic surgeon with any questions and concerns.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

I would recommend discussing this with your plastic surgeon but I usually tell my patients that they can drive as soon as they are off all of their narcotic medications and feel comfortable enough to drive. Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Driving postop

Drive when you are off pain meds, alert and feel like you are safe to drive.  Basically, common sense approach. Good luck, Jane

1 week postop

It's safe to drive when you are completely off all narcotic pain medication. Best to have someone drive you around until then! Best of luck for great results!

Pain medications and driving

Thanks for your inquiry, please check with your doctor since you are an early post-operative patient. In general, if you are not taking pain medications and can turn your head to use mirrors, etc.-you usually could be driving. Hope for a speedy recovery.