Is it possible to carry a child 3-5 years after Tummy Tuck?

Is it possible to carry a child 5 years after doing a tummytuck

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

It is possible to get pregnant and carry a child after a tummy tuck-- absolutely yes! The main issues related to pregnancy after tummy tuck is whether the abdomen will still look as good and be as tight after another pregnancy.

The answer to that questions is unknown- some people snap back after pregnancy and look great, other don't. That is why we usually try to check that our patients are done having kids prior to a tummy tuck, if they are still unsure, then I usually advise them to wait until they are sure.

I hope that helped.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and activity

Most of my patients can go back to full activity within 6-8 weeks after the procedures, so at 5 years out you should be able to do what you want.

Pregnancy After Tummy Tuck

Thank you for posting your interesting question. Yes, you can have a safe pregnancy after a full tummy tuck. However, it is often discouraged, because of the frequent need to have the abdominal rectus muscles tightened and the excess abdominal skin removed again. That is why most Board Certified Plastic Surgeons will highly recommend that women, contemplating a tummy tuck, no longer are planning future pregnancies. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

Yes! you can get pregnant after a tummy tuck but then you may need to redo the surgery! The baby will separate your muscles again and that may need to be retightened. The tummy tuck will not affect the baby.

Morad Tavallali, MD
Vienna Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

Having a tummy tuck does not mean you wouldn't be able to have children later in life. I have had patients who have had successful pregnancies following their procedures at any point- whether it be just a few years after having the surgery or even longer. I do advise my patients that if they are not done having children, it IS best to wait because all of the tightening of the muscles could be altered as the baby grows and stretches the abdomen back out. This could result in needing a revision procedure.   Best of luck to you!

Fred Hackney, MD

Pregnancy after a Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question.  Pregnancy following a tummy tuck is definitely possible.  Having had a tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, will not preclude you in and of itself from having children in the future, however, you do run the risk of stretching out or compromising your results from a tummy tuck prior to said pregnancy.  I hope you find this helpful!

Pregnancy following tummy tuck surgery is possible and is not dangerous, but if you plan on future pregnancies, you should wait to have surgery until you are done having children, since pregnancy will stretch out the skin and abdominal muscles again, usually undoing the repairs that were achieved with the abdominoplasty. In that case, a secondary tummy tuck to repair recurrent muscle laxity or loose skin may be beneficial. Most plastic surgeons suggest that you finish having children before undergoing an abdominoplasty with repair of the stretched out abdominal muscles.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and preganancy

Yes it is possible. It may stretch out your abdomen again but a second yummy tuck can be done.

Ralph M. Rosato, MD
Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon

Childbearing after tummy tuck.

Thanks for your question. Yes, you can have children after a tummy tuck. The circulating hormones of pregnancy will once again allow your tissues to relax. The only caveat is that you may then eventually want to have a second tummy tuck. That is why most women wait until after childbearing. Tummy tucks can be repeated if needed.

If you become pregnant let your OB know. Your OB will be better prepared should you need a c section.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question.  A tummy tuck will not have any adverse effects on the health of any future children.  The reason we sometimes recommend waiting until after you are done having children, is that additional pregnancies may increase the likelihood of needing additional revisional work done in the future.  For some patients, this is acceptable and they proceed forward with a tummy tuck at this time.  If you are an appropriate candidate for a tummy tuck, this can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  The belly button can be designed to look natural and have no scars on the exterior.   Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD