Breast Augmentation - 4 days Post Op. Feel implant moving!

Hi There - I'm just wondering if it's common to feel my implant move? Sometimes when I raise my arm(s) or make other movements, I feel the implant(s) move also - sometimes I think I can even hear it! Is this okay? This occurs mainly on the left side . . . Pre-op- 36A; 400cc sientra gel silicone, under the muscle. Thanks in advance for any replies. . . . so many new odd things to worry about since surgery!!

Movement of implants under the muscle is (usually) common

I'm sure you are very tuned into all of the changes that you are experiencing in your body, and some of them may be very scary indeed!  For us who do this for a living, it's an everyday thing, but for most of you ladies it's the first time you have ever seen or felt these kinds of things.  It is very common to feel, or sometimes "hear" movement in breast implants early after surgery.  The reason why I said "usually" is because this would be more common, even expected and desired (if the movement was the right movement), if the implants were smooth, round implants, whether Sientra made them or another company did.  If they are textured implants we would neither expect nor desire any movement in the implants, and if this is the case that you have textured implants and feel them move - especially if they are shaped - you should see your surgeon as soon as you are able for evaluation.  On the other hand, if it is smooth implants we are discussing, there is no cause for alarm as this is totally normal.  Like many surgeons, I recommend implant displacement, or movement, exercises beginning one week after surgery, and this intentionally moves the implants in the pocket.  Then, sometimes when you move your arms or do some activities the implants will move spontaneously.  As long as they aren't moving beyond the boundaries of the desired breast locations, this is not a problem.  In the very early stages, like 4 days postop, you may actually have a small amount of fluid around the implants, and this sometimes can create some movement of the implant or even a sensation of hearing movement.  Providing that what is happening is as I've described, this usually goes away on its own, and most ladies within several months are used to their implants and lose the awareness that they are even there.  Best of luck to you, and again, if you have significant concern you need to follow up with your surgeon ASAP.

What you are describing is quite commonly described after breast surgery.  The sensation of air trapped in the tissues is also commonly described. However, any significant increase in swelling/size would be of concern.

Sweaky implants after BA

Yes...this is not uncommon and will go away. The  muscle is pressing against the implant and as the muscle relaxes, the sound and  feeling of implant moving will subside.

Don Fontana, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Seeing and hearing things

Thank you for your question.  This is a common concern that many of my patients have immediately following breast augmentation.  As the other physicians have noted, this is something that is quite common and "normal."  You are going to be hypersensitive to the many different new noises, sensations, and movements of your new breasts.  Be patient, in time you will not even notice it and it will go away.  If you are still concerned, make sure to address this with your surgeon.  Best of luck!

Elsa M. Raskin, MD
Greenwich Plastic Surgeon

Implants moving immediately after an augmentation

I would say that is not uncommon to hear movement or "squeaking", especially if a round smooth implant was used under the muscle in your chest.  This eventually subsides.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Implants ar emoving

Smooth silicone breast implants will move in the pocket.  That is a normal sensation . If you have concerns visit with your surgeon so you can be examined.  Best wishes. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Feeling Implants Move or Hearing Them a Few Days After Breast Augmentation

After a breast augmentation, it is very common to either hear some gurgling like sounds or feel your breast implants move a little mostly because or some air that was trapped around the implant after the pocket was sutured closed.  This will settle is a few days and is nothing to worry about.  

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

This will commonly resolve in 1-2 weeks.

It’s not unusual for patients to have unusual sensations in their breasts following breast augmentation surgery.In many cases, this is related to residual air and fluid that’s present within the breast implant pocket.Under these circumstances, movement of the implant within the pocket can cause the sensation of squeaking, gurgling and bubbling.
This sensation tends to improve as fluid and air resorb.In addition, formation of a capsule around the implant also helps to minimize this phenomena.In the majority of cases resolution occurs in one to two weeks.
If you’re concerned about this phenomena, it’s important to have a discussion with your plastic surgeon.Your surgeon should be able to alleviate your anxiety regarding this issue.

Implant Movement and Sounds after Breast Augmentation

Yes, this is a common feeling and not worrisome. With smooth implants the pocket is made to allow for a little movement. The "sounds" you may be hearing has to do with transient fluid and air in the pocket that will be absorbed. All normal occurences.

Sientra Implants

Hi Singbabysing,
Yes this all can be totally normal, but you need to keep your surgeon in the loop.  You didn't mention if your Sientra implants were smooth or textured.  So the smooth will move and squeak and bubble for a short while, all implants can that are smooth.  But you want the textured to be still, so call the office and check it out.  All the best in your healing!  "Dr. Joe"