Crowns Are too Small on Front Teeth, What Can I Do?

I had two crowns and two bridges placed on to my upper front teeth, I have never been satisfied with them is there anything I can do besides having them replaced?

Doctor Answers 12

Be sure you're satisfied with the crown before it's cemented

Before crowns are permanently cemented, the dentist gets the patient's approval.  Once the patient confirms that he/she is happy with the shade, shape, size, and fit of the crown, then the dentist will cement the crown.  Once the crown is permanently cemented, nothing can be done to the crown except to replace it.  Best, Dr. Elizabeth Jahanian

Los Angeles Dentist

I have a question for you.

I always show my patients the final crowns and bridges in their mouth prior to final cementation.  Were you not shown the product like this for your approval?  I would be unusual if that were not the case.  If it was, why did you not discuss the size problem with your dentist?

Unfortunately at this point you must redo them but please look at the carefully before they are permanently cemented.

Small Front Teeth

Hi there,

It is difficult to tell without seeing you - do you have a picture you can post?  Do you have a gummy smile?  When were the dental crowns and bridges last placed?  Have you had grinding/clenching habits in the past?  Are you missing any teeth?  Were your teeth crowded prior to the dental restorations on your front teeth?  As you can see, there are many factors to consider.  Make sure you do your research and find a qualified cosmetic dentist with a great network of specialists to evaluate your condition and offer viable treatment options for you. 

Lorin F. Berland, DDS
Dallas Dentist
4.5 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Can a permanent crown be lenghtened?

Unfortunately in order to change the shape of a permanent crown it has to be remade. When replacing crowns in the front of the mouth it is advisable to have your cosmetic dentist perform a mock wax up or even add bonding to the old crown just to show you what is possible. The bonding will not stay in place for eating it is only put in place to give you and your dentist an idea of what you are looking for in length. This is a very quick and inexpensive way to find out what will work for you. Good luck to you.

Zola A Makrauer, DMD
Philadelphia Dentist

Unhappy with Anterior Crowns and Bridges

So sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory crown and bridge work.  As stated by other doctors, the only ideal corrective solution involves remaking them.  Having said this, a thorough review of possible corrections needs to be done.  As suggested, creating models of your teeth in plaster and mounting them on an articulator that simulates your bite and jaw movements is a must to see what can be done.  Sometime repositioning teeth with crowns can be done and combined with gingival trimming extra length can be achieved.  Also sometimes Orthodontic movement can help with room creation including sometimes Invisalign clear braces.  Another option mentioned is to add length to posterior teeth to open the bite in the anterior and create extra room for increased length if desired.  Talk to a well referenced and respected cosmetic dentist and he can help you evaluate your options. 

Scott LeSueur, DDS
Mesa Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

What to do with short crowns.

Sorry to hear that  you are unhappy with your crowns.

Usually, when there is an issue with Short teeth whether back or front it is related to amount of space between  upper and lower jaws. You cannot bond to a crown, and if they are short unfortunately, you will have to replace them . However if the is a space and bite issue involved, unless you take care of the issue, the new crowns will not be any longer. 

please consult with a reconstructive dentist. One who can correct  bite issues as well as making your teeth beautiful.

Good luck.


Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Dentist
4.3 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

My crowns are too small, what can I do

Sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your smile. Unfortunately the only solution would be to have the work redone.  I do not have any photos to look at so I am not sure why the teeth are so small, it may be related to the amount of space that was available or possibly your bite.  I would consult with a dentist near you to find out your options.


Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Unfortunately you have to replace them.

Before you have them replaced, you should ask your dentist for what we call a "diagnostic wax up" based on what you would them to look like.  If by too small you mean they are too short, they can usually be lengthened either by raising the gumline slightly or lengthening the edges, or a combination.  Width can be a little more difficult since it depends on amount of available space.  Your bite (the way your back teeth meet) can also put a limitation on the length of your front teeth.  That's where a wax model would be very helpful. 

Michael Firouzian, DDS
Columbus Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Too Short or as Long as they can be?

My first response would be that you may have to have them remade if they are too short.  Unfortunately, there is no way to add to crowns that would be retentive.  However, in fairness to the dentist who made them, they may have been as long as they could be with the bite that you have now.  A question to ask yourself would be:  Are they shorter than my natural teeth were before?  If the question is yes, then you could probably have longer crowns made without any bite issues.  I hope this helps.

Toni Margio, DMD
Las Vegas Dentist

Crowns that are too small on front teeth

It sounds like there is an issue with the crowns you had done.  There is no way of increasing the size of the crowns without remaking them all.  Talk to your doctor and discuss what you want things to look like and feel like, if its realistic then there is no reason a well trained cosmetic dentist can't give you the results you want.

Dan Hagi, DDS
Toronto Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.