Cost of Surgery to Produce Monolids for the Eyes?

Hello, I am part Asian and do not look it, therefore I am wondering the following: How much would it cost to have my eyes enhanced to look like the attached photo, and how long would this procedure last? Also, is it reversible? And, is there more than one way to get this effect? So I can choose which procedure is best for me?

Doctor Answers 8

Asian eyelid reversal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any techniques that reverse the double eyelid and convert it to a single fold. That being said, you might wish to consider Dr. Stephen Park who has written some articles on Asian eyelid blepharoplasty. I am not sure of his location but you can probably google the information.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

Monolids for the eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

No known surgical techniques exists for the issue your are concerned about. I am concerned of your realistic expectations in requesting this type of surgery. Maybe you should seek additional in person evaluations. 

Creating an Asian Eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

With the exception of silly WWII B grade Hollywood movies demonizing Japanese agents - I know of NO successful operation which would accurately and successfully remove the Western upper lid crease in favor of the oriental nearly crease-less lid.

The crease is formed by the skin insertion of the muscle responsible for lifting the eyelid. In oriental eyes this attachment to the skin takes place much lower and as a result the fat makes the eyelids look fuller.

While a crease can be created (Oriental to Western transformation) by attaching scar tissue to the skin at that level (a few stitches), removing the attachment a western lid has results in new scar tissue which IN THE BEST circumstances may be the same as before surgery - odds are greater that the new fold though would be irregular and asymmetrical.

Finally, I think you have GORGEOUS eyes and cannot for the life of me understand WHY you would trade them in. A LOT of women would kill to have your eyes! You REALLY need to re-think your game plan.

Dr. P. Aldea

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon

You might also like...

Creation of the monolid. Reverse Asian Eyelid Operation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You raise an interesting request. For the longest time, surgical techniques for doing the reverse have been taught. To the best of my knowledge, I am not aware of any surgical procedures. I could theoretically device one by detaching the fibers that create the upper eyelid crease but it remains theoretical and I would not advise it. I look forward to other surgeon's responses in this regard.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

Monolid Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Unfortunately, there is no technique currently available that can create a monolid. There is only a way to create a double eyelid. 

Surgery to create monolids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is not possible to remove the fold from your eyelids to create the results you seek. There is no surgical procedure in the world that can make that happen.

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 157 reviews

You can't go from occidental lids to asian ones

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 There would be no way to make the changes you desire unfortunately.  The reverse operation would have been possible and is called a double fold procedure but your eyes are locked in where they are.

No surgery to produce monolids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are operations to westernize Asian eyes but none to remove the fold. You have beautiful eyes and I know of no reputable surgeons who would touch them.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.