After Botox injections for crows feet, I cannot close my eyelids fully or cry properly. How long before the effects wear off?

The effects only occurred after a followup injection three weeks after the original injections. I got two more 1 unit injections in two places under each eyelid. Is this a result of the followup underlid injections or a combination of both? Can I speed up the recovery period eg; exercising eyelid muscles, applying heat to the area to stimulate blood flow and flushing out the toxin, electric stimulation to activate muscle activity? Does recovery time start from original injections or followup?

Eyelids post Botox

Thanks for your question.You should always follow up with your doctor but botox injections can last 3-4 months. The great news is that you should feel better in about 4-6 weeks. Hope you feel better!

Botox and Results / When Improve?

Results are most noticeable 2-3 weeks after injection and should wear off in 6-12 weeks.  I suggest you see your physician and get eye drops and an evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lower Eyelid Botox drooping (lagaopthalmos) and tearing (epiphora) and dry eye

Dear gildi67:A knowledgeable and skilled Botox injector understands the consequences of relaxing the muscles he or she injects. In the case of injecting Botox to the "crow's feet" (orbicularis oculi muscle), relaxation of the upper outer quadrant will allow the frontalis muscle to elevate the lateral brow but relaxation of the lower outer quadrant will over time and many sessions relax the cheek and allow its outer aspect to descend. You may not have noticed lower eyelid problems with "crow's feet" injection but it can occur subtly or not at all. It is most probable that the lower lid injections which relax the same muscle under the eyelid reduced the ability to tighten the eyelid upward and against the eyeball therefore causing the eyelid to: 
  1. bellow outward and not close, 
  2. retain tears in the conjunctival well and 
  3. reduce the ability to pump tears into the lacrimal duct for proper drainage. 
If you develop a grittiness or dryness from "dry eye", you may actually need artificial tears or gel and eye taping at night. Yes, massage, attempted exercise and TENS stimulation will help but the injected Botox response will not fade for 2 to 4 months. Please return to your injector for his or her recommendations or visit a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Ophthalmologist talented in Botox injection for assistance. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Botox for crows feet

It is likely that your follow up injections are what caused your symptoms.  Follow up with your provider.  Botox will typically last 3-4 months but your symptoms should improve within 4-6 weeks.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Inability to close eyes

It is difficult to assess perfectly without seeing where the injector placed the Botox. But they must have placed it too close to the eyelid margin. If they only placed  1 unit which would be hard to do, then it could start to wear off as early as 4 weeks but could last up to 3 months. There really is no way to make it go away quicker. Hang in there,  it is not permanent.

Byron A. Long, MD
Marietta Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox injections and inability to close eyelids fully or cry properly

The additional injection of Botox is the reason for the change in the function of your eyelids.Botox around the eyes may wear off as soon as 4-6 weeks, but there is potential that it lasts the full 3 months.I recommend returning to the doctor who performed your injection to be monitored. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox injection side effect

Some people have euelid laxity and once injected with botox, their eyelids fall and fail to close properly.  These effects usually wear off in 6 weeks as the muscles starts to gain strength again. In the meantime, i would lubricate the eye surface frequently and tape your eyelids shut at night time or use a thicker gel or ointment artifical tear product.  Hope this helps!

Inability to close eye after Botox in lower eyelid

The injection caused too much weakness in the lower eyelid. You doctor should test the laxity of the lower lid with a snap test prior to injection. If the lid doesn't snap back properly, it shouldn't be injected. The lose of strength of the lower lid will last at least 6 weeks and can be up to 3 months. Nothing can be done except taping on the side of the lower lid.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lo dose Botox

As you know, normal doses of Botox can last up to 3-4 months.  For you used less than the normal amount, as you have here with 1 unit increments, you can expect much less time of  duration. I would guess 4-6 weeks.

Vern Reynolds, DO
Columbus Anesthesiologist

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your side effects.  This sounds as if the second round of injections likely caused the difficulty with closing of your eyelids and inability to cry properly as Botox's effects kick in fully by 2 weeks.  As you had little botox placed I would anticipate this to wear off in a month or two but may last up to 3-4 months.  Unfortunately there aren't any options at reversing its effects.