What the difference between a regular tummy tuck and a hour glass tummy tuck? I'm talking about a full tummy tuck!!

Tummy Tuck to enhance an hour-glass shape.

Most women seek to optimize their innate "hour-glass" shaping with either liposuction or a full tummy tuck.  Tightening of the muscles, tension on the lax skin and selective liposuction can enhance your contour but will still be limited by your natural muscle contour.  The benefits of a tummy tuck are quite significant however and likely to be very satisfying for appropriate candidates.  The video above describes who is a good candidate for tummy tucks, lipo or both procedures.  Regards.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Plastic Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Based on the way you asked, I am assuming that by regular tummy tuck you mean removal of excess skin only, and that the Hour Glass tummy tuck would be circumferential liposuction as well as the tummy tuck. This is a technique that I use at my practice called the Timeless Tuck, which is circumferential liposuction, front and back, and the removal of excess skin. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon to fully assess you and to see which treatment plan option would be best for you.

Peter Chang, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Different TT styles

There are many different styles of tummy tuck. The terms you are using seem more like marketing terms than truly different types of tummy tuck. Be sure to discuss what type of surgery is right for you from a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Bradley A. Hubbard, MD

What the difference between a regular tummy tuck and a hour glass tummy tuck? I'm talking about a full tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  A tummy tuck with liposuction of the flanks and hips will improve the shape.  The tummy tuck result will last a long time unless you have fluctuations in weight or have another child. I encourage you to make an appointment with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss all of your options. Best Wishes

Jeff Angobaldo, MD

Tummy tucks for an hourglass figure

All versions of a tummy tuck for women aim to produce an hourglass figure. Methods to accomplish this include liposuction of the flanks and muscle repair. The term "hourglass tummy tuck" is not recognized by most plastic surgeons because it implies something different than what we already do.

Richard Baxter, MD

What's thedifference between a regular TT and an hour glass TT? I'm talking about a full TT !!

Thank you for your question. A TT tightens muscles and removes skin from the abdomen. The surgeon may be describing additional liposuction to the flanks to help create contour. Liposuction to the flanks often enhances the results of a TT. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Tummy tuck

There are a lot of ways to market tummy tucks, so not sure what am "hourglass" tummy tuck is, but an hourglass shape is the goal of most tummy tuck procedures.

A typical tummy tuck performed by a plastic surgeon would combine liposuction for contouring and shaping, removal of excess skin for tightening and an "internal corset" to repair the separation of your muscles to give you that "hourglass shape". Consult a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

I've never heard of an hour-glass tummy tuck

It is really hard to give advice without examining patients with regards to abdominoplasties and the many permutations and “versions” of them that get offered to patients. Briefly, if you have excess skin or laxity in your skin and fat, removal of that tissue would be of benefit. If your muscle contour is not what it used to be or it not optimal, a procedure to tighten your “core” may be necessary. This is especially important in the post-pregnancy population as during your pregnancy, your muscles were forced to adapt to a growing baby inside. Most times, those muscles don’t go exactly back to where they were before. Some come back really darn close, but rarely to their exact pre-pregnancy position. If you don’t have the musculature issues addressed, and you only have the skin and subcutaneous tissues removed, your contour will not be optimal and I believe you will be dissatisfied with your results. It’s paramount to fix the foundation (the musculature) before building the house.

The next question to address is what to do with your belly button. Depending on the amount of upper abdominal laxity, you may have your belly button brought through a new place in your skin (belly button stays where it is on your abdominal wall, but by stretching skin downwards, it needs to come out in a new place or it would look tethered and not natural) or you may need to leave it where it is or potentially “float” it down the abdominal wall an inch or two (it actually ends up being lower on your torso than where it started). Decisions about pre-surgery position of your belly button and tradeoffs between potential scar placement vs. keeping your belly button in a naturally-appearing position are used to determine that.

As you can see, there are lots to consider when discussing abdominoplasties. You really need to discuss all of these issues with a board certified plastic surgeon and see pictures of their results. Who cares if someone does “drainless tummy tucks” or offers you an "hour glass tummy tuck" if their results do not look great. Likewise, tummy tucks that are done overly tight do not look natural and defeat the purpose of having your abdomen rejuvenated in the first place. What good is getting a tummy tuck if you aren’t excited to show it off? Hope this helps!

-JGH

J. Garrett Harper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck

A full tummy tuck is the standard of care. The hour glass is just a coined term that might be referring to limiting lateral dissection in an effort to encourage medicalization of your sides. Please see link below for your free cheat sheet on "7 keys to a great tummy tuck" which will address your question.

Arian Mowlavi, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

I have attached a video below that lays out the different types of tummy tuck -- mini and full. In general, most women are not good candidates for a mini especially if they've had children. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD