Lipo worked great, 5 months later, I have more fat than pre-op?

I went from 129# to 170 after taking prednisone for a head injury. I began seeing a weight management physician, started Phentermine and a 900-1200 cal meal plan. I work with a plastic surgeon who did abdominal, thigh, back roll Lipo in April removing 3500 cc. My stomach was FLAT, I was super happy. I now have more fat than pre-op in my abdomen and thighs. Tons of labs done, all WNL. I'm frustrated and getting depressed. He's offered to do Lipo again, I fear it'll be the same result. Any advice?

Are you still on prednisone

that is the ultimate question. if your weight is back down to where you were when you initially had lipo, then it would be reasonable to expect a similar result. IF you are 50+ pounds heavier, the results will not be as satisfying as they once were. 

Sorry for your experience but a 40 pound weight gain due to prednisone can wreak havoc on one's body.  Do your best to get close to your preoperative weight (129 pounds) before judging the results of your liposuction surgery and at that point see whether you are a candidate for repeat liposuction.  I guess is that much of the fat that has returned is visceral fat and not amenable to liposuction surgery but this should be determined in a face-to-face examination.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Liposuction did not work and now fat has returned

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• I am really sorry you suffered a head injury and complications from prednisone.
  • Congratulations on your weight loss discipline.
  • Without seeing before/after photos and knowing what your weight is now, one can't know what may have happened.
  • Prednisone does have strange, long-lasting effects on body fat - this may be the issue if your stomach and thighs are bigger after liposuction but you have lost weight.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction and weight gain

Sorry but liposuction is not a treatment for weight gain.  We carry fat in different areas of the body as well as can have a visceral( internal abdominal) fat that can not be treated with liposuction. Diet and exercise can treat the visceral fat.