After liposuction surgery, will I need to purchase adult diapers?

So I've been trying to find out what to do before and after liposuction surgery and one of the things that was told to me by my surgeons office is that I will need to purchase Adult Diapers? I'm have my breast implants switched to a bigger size and liposuction of my stomach and flanks. I'm just curious of why I would need to wear that after surgery?

How to treat the leakage after liposuction?

Hi Stephy,

Thanks for your question. I have never asked a patient to wear an adult diaper after liposuction. Typically most patients have drainage that lasts a day but some can last several days depending on how aggressive the liposuction was. I usually recommend just wearing feminine pads over the areas of drainage. This helps absorb without being too cumbersome. Ask your Plastic Surgeon. They have a reason that you and I are not aware of. Good Luck and congratulations on your upcoming change!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

Crazy

I have never asked a patient to wear a diaper after a liposuction procedure. You may have some fluid drain from the liposuction port sites, but that is minimal and you definitely do not need a diaper. You may want to see some more surgeons locally in your area to discuss this with them in consultation. 

Diapers after surgery

Thank you for your question.  I have never asked a patient to do this but you will drain some liposuction fluid from the incisions.  I would ask your PS directly.

Best Wishes!

Jamie Moenster, DO
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Wearing adult diapers after liposuction

Thank you for asking about your liposuction and breast surgery.

• After liposuction, you will drain fluid for 24 hours.
  • This happens even when the incisions are sutured
  • Your surgeon's office may want you to have adult diapers to put over the liposuction areas where you drain.
  • I have never suggested my patients use them - but it is one way to absorb any fluid that drains.
  • The best way to know what these are for is to ask the surgeon's office for an explanation.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

In my Beverly Hills practice I have never asked patients to wear adult diapers since I suture my incisions and absorb any drainage of fluid (mostly water) with a gauze bandage for 24 hours.  After that there is no further drainage.

Other physicians will have different protocols so I'd follow your doc's recommendations.  Enjoy the results of your procedures and best wishes,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Diapers after lipo.

Its depends on technique used by your surgeon, but I personally never see need to wear diapers after lipo since there are no leaks.

Sincerely,

Dr. Andrey Shakov

Andrey Shakhov, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Post Care

In my practice we have all patients get diapers as open drains are used for the procedure.  Post care is very specific to each procedure and I do a significant amount of VASER HI DEF that requires massage, hyperbaric oxygen, customized garments, radiofrequency treatments and diapers.  Please talk to your surgeon.  Best, Dr. Emer.