Neck lift gone wrong. What can I do to help it? (Photo)

Can someone please tell me after 4weeks why my neck looks this way and what I can do to help it. My doctor just told me to massage it but I feel like I need to do more. Its looking worse as swelling is going down.

4 weeks post op

After the neck lifting operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Necklift results

It looks like you'll most likely need a revision surgery to address the contour irregularities, which may be caused by excessive scar tissue, fat and/or problematic skin redraping. Please wait a few months before considering another surgery, and in the meantime continue to massage as advised.

Neck Irregularities After Lift

This is either irregular fat removal, excess scar tissue, or more likely, both.  It will likely require a secondary procedure to correct as much as possible.  In the meantime, aggressive massage and ultrasound will help smooth the contour more quickly.  I would allow at least two months of this treatment prior to reopening the area in order to maximize good blood flow and healing.  At that time, it will be fairly easy to directly remove whatever irregularities remain. 

R. Scott Yarish, MD

Neck lift gone wrong. What can I do to help it?

Unfortunately I don't know what procedure you have done, and it's difficult to offer options. Based on your photos I don't believe massage will offer much. You made to have another or a new open procedure to release the skin and allow it to re-drape before it becomes scars, and distorted permanently. I think you need to approach this aggressively.
Seek a second opinion with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon soon and develop  a plan now.
Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgrey

Can not tell from the photos if you were treated with a full open facelift... If this persists, then reopening the area would be beneficial in order to achieve a smoother and tighter contour of the neck area. Without more specific details, it's not possible to give an accurate opinion. In the meantime, the massage with help.

Massaging is a reasonable approach.  More than likely, a little time is all you need to let this resolve.  Follow the directions of your surgeon.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Does NOT appears as an open lifting operation but more as attempted lipo of the neck???? Yes at this stage massages with external ultrasound therapy. After 3 moths maybe doing a full open release??? 

Liposuction / Neck Lift Results

I suggest following your surgeons recommendations but sometimes injections into the area with steriods or even ultrasound (ultherapy) or radiofrequency treatments (venus legacy, thermage) can help speed the healing process.  If this stays after 6 months, it may require you to have an additional surgery to release the scar tissue and help the skin redrape properly.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lumpiness in my neck following a neck lift

Your concern is completely understandable. Lumpy contouring of the skin and underlying tissue can occasionally happen following a neck lift procedure, especially if you had a fluid collection following surgery. Regardless, I would follow your surgeons advice and gently massage the area. This will likely resolve however it can take anywhere from several weeks to several months. Make sure to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that there is nothing that needs more acute attention.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-op neck lift photos

Based on your photos, it appears you have some contour irregularities and pleating of the skin. This may be the result of uneven fat removal, if liposuction was performed as part of your procedure, or abnormal skin redraping. Although it is a little early to know for certain if this will resolve on its own, I would suggest you address this with your surgeon or seek a second opinion with another plastic surgeon.

Sean Maguire, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon