I am 67 years old and thinking of having Smart Lipo on my lower and upper abdomen. Is there a higher risk for my age group?

Smartlipo in older age group

lLipisuction can be performed at almost any age. However for older patients I do make several modifications. The amount of tumescent fluid I use is less as well as the total amount removed. This lessons the fluid load on your heart and is safer.  Without photographs it is impossible to comment  on your particular situation. If you have a large abdomen or hanging skin, then you are not a good candidate  if you have small to medium collections in the upper and lower abdomen then you are a candidate.  There is more chance of loose skin with someone in your age group, but most of my patients that are older are still happy with their liposuction  and don't require skin removal 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo using Tumescent Anesthesia is safe for all age groups.

There are always risks when having any type of surgery.  You can minimize these risks by having your smartlipo performed under local anesthesia.  As you remain awake, there is no need for general anesthesia and stopping your breathing.  This is in fact much riskier than smartlipo itself!  Even better, when the procedure is completed, you are back on your feet immediately and go home numb.  Healthy patients in their 60s, 70s and even 80s are safe for tumescent anesthesia as long as they pass preoperative screening.

Lawrence Broder, MD
Cedar Park Family Physician

Smart Lipo safety

Smart Lipo (compared to traditional liposuction) is a good option for patients with risk of general anesthesia. We have done Smart Lipo on patients your age with good results and without complications. Your health and medical issues are a major factor and would be considered in assessing your risk. As long as expectations are reasonable, especially related to skin tightening, Smart Lipo is your best option.

Gregory Chambon, MD
Overland Park Family Physician

Smartlipo Age Range

Thank you for your question. You are never too old to want to look and feel your best. As long as you are healthy, and any medical issues are well-controlled, you would likely do just fine with Smartlipo since it is done using local anesthesia. The issue would be the ability of your skin to "recoil" and tighten up after the removal of fatty tissue. You would be at an increased risk of less than ideal cosmetic outcomes than someone in their 30's, for example. I would suggest meeting w/ a local plastic surgeon who offers Smartlipo to discuss your case. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Age For smart Lipo?

Thank you for your question!  I advise you to seek a board certified plastic surgeon, who preforms these regularly.  Your doctor will order you to get all of the medical clearance for your procedure.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board Certified Plastic SurgeonChicago Hoffman EstatesOak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Age and Lipo

Thanks for your question. A procedure like SmarLipo is not determined by age necessarily but by skin, body type and desired results. Yes, the body changes as it years pass but it’s best to get a full medical examination prior. That, as well as current BMI, should be taken into consideration when determining whether you are a candidate or not. Hope this helps. Best, Dr. Ka

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Smart Lipo

Thank you for your question. When trying to identify what is a patient’s level of risk for surgery and anesthesia, the best classification system is done by The American Society of Anesthesiologists. Basically what this says is that patients who have medical conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes or kidney problems or heart problems are at a higher level of risk for surgery, also depending on if they are obese or if they smoke. Age is actually not one of the criteria that is looked at as part of this classification system.  However, more medical problems are more common within increasing age, but if your doctor has ruled you out for all those and said that you have no medical problems or if you do that they were well controlled, then you are not in a higher risk for surgery based on your age. Good luck!

Smartlipo is very safe

i do my Smartlipo under local anesthesia often times with some oral sedation. Since you are not being put to sleep, there is almost no risk of a DVT. However, the bigger problem, may be that your skin elasticity is not as good as it was when you were younger. You certainly can get a benefit from Smartlipo but it is important to be realistic with your expectations. see a board certified PS with experience in Smartlipo and you should be in good hands.
good luckdavid berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Age is just a number

Age is not an absolute contraindication to any elective cosmetic procedures. Whether or not a patient is a candidate for surgery is a function of a myriad of factors including (but not limited to):-Overall health (Weight/BMI)-Medical history-Social History (Smoking?)-Skin quality (increased age means loss of skin elasticity)-Goals/ExpectationsIt is important to understand that surgical risk profiles increase as one ages, however, this elevated risk often correlated to those conditions that typically accompany aging. Patients in good health can be a surgical candidate irrespective of age.With respect to liposuction, an ideal candidate is at a healthy stable weight (within 15 lbs. of goal). They are not seeking weight loss but rather an improved contour in one or more areas which have proven resistant to traditional diet and exercise regimen.As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo

Age alone is not a deciding factor for Smart Lipo candidacy. Instead, the combination of overall health, BMI, medical history, skin elasticity, and many other factors will better predict potential risks and benefits. I recommend that you meet with an experienced plastic surgeon to have an in-person evaluation. 

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon