Will a chemical peel and botox give me the results I am looking for? (Photo)

Is there a way I can recover my face from years of sun exposure and bad genetics? I am only 25 and feel like I have the face of 45! Will chemical peel achieve freshening my skin? I have a lot of discoloration, brown spots, fine lines. Will a chemical peel also help with lines around mouth? Will a superficial peel do the trick? The deep peel just looks way too scary. Will botox help with crowsfeet despite me having very hollow under eyes/thin skin?

Cosmetic treatments

Thank you for your question wonderful_one. Cosmetic treatments are used to address a variety of concerns. First and foremost is sunscreen, which should be applied daily. Chemical peels and laser treatments such as IPL and fractional lasers can help with discolorations and fine lines. Crow's feet can be addressed with Botox. Volume loss can be restores with fillers such as Voluma, Juvederm, and Restylane. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Facial Aging and Lasers like Fraxel/Clear + Brilliant, RF like VIVA, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care, Face Lift, Fat Injections

You are a perfect candidate for antiaging treatments.  In my practice we do a combination approach for short and long term improvement.  Lasers like fraxel/clear + brilliant with microneedling and PRP for skin complexion, wrinkles and scars.  Peels are used in between lasers for long term maintenance, they are not the best to get a big improvement but better for maintaining correction.  Fillers and botox can be used for volume and movement wrinkles and are best in combination with lasers/RF. I suggest a formal consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist whos whole practice is lasers, fillers, and cosmetic options with aesthetitcian services and skin care.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Refreshing Your Skin

Thank you for your question and sharing your photos. 

Based on your photographs, you many achieve the best results from an IPL (intense pulsed light) treatment.  A common name for IPL to the face is called a photofacial.  Not all photofacials are the same as different IPL machines vary in their effectiveness.  Please find an experienced physician who is knowledgeable about the Cynosure ICON, one of the most effective devices to treat sun damaged skin.   During your consult, your physician or laser technician will be able to determine whether you are a better candidate for the Max Y vs the Max G hand piece.  This procedure will address and reverse your sun damage and will mildly tighten your skin. 

Main regards to neuromodulator (Botox, Dysport, or Xeomin), you need to take a picture squinting tightly to see if you are activating any muscles that would cause "crows feet".  

Even an before considering a procedure, please make sure you are using an excellent physical sunblock and a retinoid.  Currently, one of the best sunscreens on the market is Skin Medica Total Defense and Repair.  It was released July 1, 2015, and is the only sunscreen that blocks Infrared Light in addition to the normal UVB and UVA.  

Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.
Houston, TX

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Will a chemical peel and botox give me the results I am looking fo

The chemical peel will help with the brown spots, although in time and with sun exposure, they will come back. The fine lines will look better only while you are swollen.I do not think it will make a significant change on the lines around your mouth. Botox will only help with the lines you see when you squint, and that might be a 50% reduction at best. It will not hep the wrinkles you see when your are relaxed and your face is not animated.

Julio Garcia, MD

Static versus Dynamic repair and rejuvenation following Facial surgical and non-surgical enhancements

Dear wonderful_one:

Thanks for sharing your photos.

The process of aging is the passive inability for your body’s tissues to repair and regenerate themselves. The act of rejuvenation is to actively reverse and dynamically assist the repair of your tissues on a daily basis. When significant laxity exists, surgical skin and soft tissue redraping or lifting are required.

Facial Aging develops from the 5 different layers of the skin, fat, muscle and bone.
During the first 20 years or so of life, the body genetically determines how to mature and repair a constantly changing “face” including all these layers (as it does elsewhere in the body). Thereafter it remains robust in repairing itself from injury but the accumulation of environmental, health and nutritional exposure will add to the passive inability for the body to care for itself after 30. This is when physical changes such as skin laxity, irregular pigmentation, lines and wrinkles and skin diseases occur. We now have many options to rejuvenate the layer or layers of the face which need care or stimulation to reverse the aging trend.

1. The top layer or stratum corneum of the epidermis is the rough, pigmented layer of the skin; creating most of the depth of the wrinkle.

• Exfoliation is best for this using:
  • microdermabrasion,
  • Retin-A (ZO Obagi Skin Health System), which also renews and regulates improved function of the deeper epidermis,
  • Some lasers and chemical peels.
2. The second layer is the dermis which thins with aging. The natural collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid (which hydrate and toughen the skin) are thickened by the use of:
  • fillers (Restylane and Juvederm), or
  • Retinoids (ZO Obagi Skin Health System), which also renews and regulates improved function of the deeper dermal skin cells.
  • Sculptra properly managed is the latest sensation in stimulating firming and thickening of the dermis

3.The next layer or fat also thins or droops with age and maybe:

filled (Restylane and Juvederm), fat grafting or
redraped (threadlift, short-scar, traditional, endoscopic face / neck / brow lifts / cheek)

4. The muscle which creases the skin into wrinkles and folds is weakened and rebalanced with

• Botox or similar injectable muscle relaxers like Dysport or Xeomin.

5. Bone also undergoes a dynamic process of resorption, thinning and descent. Options for cosmetic enhancements include:

• implants
  • structural fillers, particularly like Radiesse (bone mineral)
  • volumizing gel fillers like Juvederm and Restylane

Facelift, necklift and forehead lift are surgical procedures which include:
  • an incision along the periphery of the tissues
  • a suspension or re-positioning of the underlying soft tissues, and
  • a redraping of the skin with removal of skin excess.

Chemical peels and laser tightening are single, “static” attempts to “jump” the repair system into collagen formation. They should be performed every 3 months in order to achieve a more dynamic stimulation of the immune system. You will need good skin management to reverse and repair the sun damage you have experienced. 

My recommendations for you base on this very limited information are:
  • 1.ZO Therapeutic Skin Health including Retinoids and Hydroquinones
  • 2.Fillers and Botox
  • 3.Followed by ZO chemical peels and / or fractionated CO2 or erbium laser and IPL

Everyone needs one or more layered improvement and in personalized combinations to achieve their optimal result. You can understand why it takes a talented individual, preferably a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or ENT Facial Surgeon with great experience to evaluate your needs and find a plan that works best for you.
All surgical, minimally invasive and non-invasive procedures and their combinations should be discussed following a proper examination with a well versed, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs all of these options so you will not receive a biased approach because he limited in his skills.

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Sundamage

All of the problems you have are due to excessive sun and the first thing is to stop gettting so much and use a sunscrreen with SPF 30 every day. Avoid tanning beds!  you can get on a routine set up by a board certified dermatologist to benefit and a chemical peel will help but be sure you are getting one at a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeons office not a spa.All of this will take time but it took time to get the damage you have

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Will a chemical peel and botox give me the results I am looking for?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Just as years of sun exposure resulted in your skin changes, you will need to be willing to undertake a skin care regimen that will reverse many of these sun-related skin changes and provide you with benefits for the rest of your life.  You need to first stop excessive sun exposure.  At the same time, begin using a retinol to turn over your skin cells faster and thicken your skin to make it firmer and more youthful.  A bleaching cream will help lighten your darker spots while evening out your skin tone, and a daily sunblock will protect your skin from further damage.  After a month on the regimen, consider a chemical peel to further enhance skin texture and tone and Botox for your crow's feet to help prevent the wrinkles from settling in.  Lastly, fillers placed into your lower eyelid and cheek region will help restore lost volume contributing to your hollow appearance. I am attaching a link below that will help provide you with further skin care recommendations.  Hope this helps. 

Thank you for your question. From your photos, it does appear that you have moderate signs of sun damage especially given your young age. The issue seems to be mainly with your skin tone and quality rather than lines or wrinkles. Arguably, the most important step for skin rejuvenation/maintenance is prevention with a good-quality daily skin care regimen and sunscreen. There are many modalities that can be used to lighten or eliminate the areas of discoloration, Brown spots and fine lines including peels, laser treatments, and micro-needling. I suggest you consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons or dermatologist to discuss your options. Best wishes!

Start with good skin care regime! I prefer SkinMedica SPF with DefenAge products and a Retinol. Than a light VIP peel every 2 months. Finally HA Filler, Restylane Silk to tear trough deformities. Final to gain some lift without a full surgery consider the Silhouette Lift option under local anesthesia 2 to 4 day recovery...