How Close to my Goal Weight Should I Be Prior to Surgery?

I am 5'4 & weigh 170 lbs. I am of a large frame & have a straight figure, I gain & lose weight evenly. Anyway, my goal weight is 130 lbs. Ive already lost 25 lbs & about to start my secound round of hCG this Saturday with the goal of losing a mínimum of 20 lbs, leaving me 20 lbs shy from my goal weight. Im trying to figure out what weight I should be before undergoing plastic surgery. Im interested in the following procedures: Breast Aug & Lift, Tummy Tuck & Lipo & possible Brazilian Butt Lift.

Ideal Weight for Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Although guidelines and recommendations vary among surgeons, I recommend that my patients be within 20 pounds of his or her ideal weight when considering a cosmetic procedure. Being at, or as close as possible to, an ideal weight minimizes the chance that the surgical results will be influenced by a large weight loss or gain. It is important to ensure that the weight loss is sustainable and not just a quick loss for the sake of booking surgery. When consulting with a surgeon, be sure to be up front about your recent weight loss as this will influence the plan of care he or she will develop for you.

Goal weight prior to a mommy makeover

Your goal weight for surgery should be close to your baseline prior to your last pregnancy, with realistic estimations, given increasing age and other factors. Dropping a bunch of pounds on HCG diets might be fraught with future weight gain. A good balance of exercise, heathy diet and lifestyle with a stable weight over several months is the best way to assure stable and good longterm results!

Christopher S. Verbin, MD

Weight loss and cosmetic surgery.

There are several factors to consider prior to undergoing plastic surgery after weight loss. Using highly restrictive calorie diets, minimal carb diets, or other "rapid-weight loss" techniques are effective in the short run. However, many times the weight comes back after 6 months when the restrictive diet is stopped. The goal of weight loss is stability in your weight. For patients of mine that have lost a significant amount of weight, I require a 6 month period of a stable weight and a healthy diet prior to any surgery. Often times patient's nutrition is poor following rapid weight loss and this can adversely affect healing from cosmetic surgery. I will routinely order nutritional panels to identify which patients may or may not have healing difficulties, particularly for body contouring procedures. Cosmetic surgery is an expensive undertaking that can dramatically change the way you look. Being at a healthy weight that you can maintain is critical for long term satisfaction with your cosmetic procedure.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and cosmetic surgery

90% of people who diet to lose weight gain it back.The biggest risk to your result is dieting, then having your surgery and gaining weight.If you lose weight after surgery you will not ruin your result, but will probably make it better.However, the best candidate for surgery is someone who is at their ideal weight and maintains it. If this is not possible for you, just make certain you don't gain weight after your surgery. You will ruin your result.

George W. Weston, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss: it is best to be within about 20 pounds of the weight that you would like to be.

A small amount of weight change shouldn't make a big difference, but if you plan on losing more than 20 pounds, then I would recommend waiting until your weight is within 20 pounds of your goal weight and stable for 3- 6 months for best results and the most predictable results.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Goal Weight

Assuming no other health factors, you should be within 20 pounds of your target weight prior to the surgery. You will want to be as close as possible to your target weight prior to surgery for optimal results.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Ideal Weight for a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. It is best to undergo #MommyMakeover procedures when your weight has been stable for at least one year. In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity.

Within 10% of ideal body weight is best.

There’s no question that being close to your ideal body weight improves the results from Mommy Makeover surgery.It also decreases the potential for complications with this type of surgical procedure.For these reasons, we prefer that patients be within 10% of their ideal body weight at the time of surgery.
Your pictures suggest that you are an excellent candidate for Mommy Makeover surgery.If you lose additional weight, it probably wouldn’t significantly impact your final result.It’s important that your weight be stable for at least six months prior to surgery.
It you’re considering Mommy Makeover surgery, it’s important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area.This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your concerns.

Goal weight before surgery.

As a general rule, one would like their patient to be within 30 lbs of their goal weight. The rate of complications, (surgical and anesthesia), is less. The result usually does not have to be revised as much, (as opposed to someone who had an operation and then lost 60 lbs). Your pattern of weight loss is a bit disturbing.  You have to have good eating and exercise habits or the mommy makeover will be a waist of time and resources.  You also need calories, protein and vitamins, (in the form of vegetables/fruit) to heal up a wound.  Please speak with your board certified plastic surgeon. Together you will come up with a good plan.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS