Mommy Makeover Healing? Bad Swelling 10 Days PO When Walking.

I am 10 days PO and once I start walking around my thighs, knees, legs swell real bad, you can't even tell I have knees. How long will this last? Should I be taking a water pill?

Swelling Concern 10 Days Post Mommy Makeover Procedure

Healing will continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation in the breasts may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. Tingling, burning or shooting pains in the breasts will disappear with time and should not alarm you. It is simply a result of the regeneration of your sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage per your surgeon's permission may help. The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling following a #TummyTuck or #Abdominoplasty. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after surgery, as directed by their doctor. Some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.

If you have concerns about your #healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Leg swelling after tummy tuck

It's very common to have swelling of your abdomen and flanks after a tummy tuck, especially when combined with liposuction. It usually takes at least 6 months for this to completely get better. It's less common to have swelling of your legs, but it can happen.

I would advise you to visit with your board certified plastic surgeon to make sure everything is OK. If there's no evidence of a blood clot in your legs, or any other problems, then compression stockings on your legs and elevating your feet as much as possible may help.

I see you posted this question 2 months ago ... how are you doing now?  I hope you're doing well and wish you the best.

Bad leg swelling following mommy makeover

Although swelling is quite common following lipo and tummy tuck, you have to be concerned about other causes. The most serious one is clots in your leg ( deep vein thrombosis). You have to talk to your plastic surgeon and communicate with him/her your concerns. If you can not see your plastic surgeon, talk to your primary care physician.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Post operative swelling is normal following Mommy Makeover

Don't worry.  It is normal to have some swelling following a tummy-tuck.  Some people develop more leg swelling than others.  A diuretic (water pill) might help, but is not necessary.  Compression stockings will also help.  If you develop PAINFUL swelling of the lower legs, or more swelling on one side than the other,  then you should check with your surgeon.

Kevin F. Hagan, MD

“Bad Swelling” after Mommy Makeover?

Based on your description, one must always be concerned about “worst-case  scenario”;  the presence of clots in the lower extremities and/or pelvis may cause lower extremity swelling. This may need to be ruled out with ultrasound studies.

At the very least, follow-up with your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to advise you after direct examination. I do not suggest the use of “water pills”;  the indiscriminate use of diuretics may lead to dehydration and/or electrolyte imbalance.