I am a 65 year old woman who is considering lipo suction for upper and lower ab and flanks?

I am concerned about saggy skin.. Will my pant size go down or will the saggy skin prevent that.. Can the skin go back to smooth. I am in very good shape. work out 5 days a week, but a 20lb weight gain do to my age went right to my gut NOt quite sure what to do

Liposuction or Tummy Tuck at 65

Thank you very much for your question. Unfortunately, without a photograph or an in-person consultation, it is difficult to give you any meaningful advice. However, even at 65, you can still make an excellent candidate for liposuction or a body contouring procedure. I recommend that you schedule a consultation appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon, who can determine if your skin has enough elasticity to shrink back into shape with liposuction alone. He/she can then recommend your best option for restoring a smooth abdomen. 

Liposuction results

You can certainly undergo liposuction safely at the age of 65 years, if you are in good health.  As far as the results are concerned, you probably won't have much loose skin after liposuction of the flanks. You will probably have some loose skin left on the abdomen, as would be expected for any 65-year-old, but it depends on the elasticity of your skin. Loose skin left after liposuction can be tightened with a radiofrequency device. (I use a tripollar radiofrequency device for skin tightening). Liposuction will improve the contour of your mid-section and your pants will fit better.  I recommend consulting a board-certified dermatologic surgeon with experience in liposuction. The tumescent technique ( liposuction performed with local anesthetic) is the safest approach and patients have no recovery time after the procedure, being able to stand up and walk out without assistance.  You can be back to work (desk job) in 3 days. The surgery can be safely performed in an office surgical facility. Some office surgical facilities are accredited by an independent third party such AAAHC, attesting to best practices and patient satisfaction. For liposuction performed skillfully using smaller cannulas find an experienced board-certified dermatologic surgeon. 

Renuka Diwan, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Find the right surgeon

Far more important than deciding if liposuction is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

Liposuction and saggy skin

You would have to be seen in person to be properly evaluated. I have treated many people in their 50's and 60's.  It really depends upon your skin quality.

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

Without photos, difficult to comment.

From your description , it sounds like you may be an excellent candidate for Vaser Hi definition liposculpture with fat grafting to the buttocks.  You should get a great result from liposculpture, giving you a more contoured and hourglass shape with better projection to your buttocks.

Vaser Hi Definition liposuction uses the concepts of negative and positive spaces in relation to the underlying bony and muscle anatomy to define areas such as your six pack and create an athletic looking physique.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Liposuction and age

At 65 you can still be a very appropriate candidate for liposuction.  An examination by a board certified plastic surgeon will determine which procedure is best for you.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction at 65

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Unfortunately, this is a good question but it requires an examiniation to answer it.
  • At 65, most women have loosening of the skin for various reasons, including some loss of height.
  • You may do beautifully with liposuction or you may need it combined with a skin tightening procedure.
  • Since you are consider the surgery, now is the time for a consultation to discuss what you want to achieve and the best way to get it for you!

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring / Tummy tuck / Mommy Makeover in 65 Year Old

If you have a lot of loose skin, a tummy tuck would be a good option in combination with liposuction. Energy based liposuction like VASER, ThermiRF, SmartLipo do well for skin retraction and contouring of the body. I suggest you see a body sculpting expert for a formal consultation. Best, Dr. Emer.

65 y.o. considering liposuction

As we get older our skin elasticity is not as good. Certain areas of the body tighten up better after liposuction. Unfortunately, the abdomen is not one of these but the back, flanks and hips have a thicker dermis so they wilol tighten better after liposuction. Also if the weight you have gained is intraabdominal, liposuction isn't going to affect this. I would have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get the most accurate answers for your situation.

Karen Quigley, MD

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you could receive will come from an in-person consultation.  In some patients with sagging skin, other procedures are better than liposuction.  I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD