I was cleaning my very deep bellybutton, and the cotton from the end of the QTip came off deep inside?

My bellybutton was itchy so I cleaned it with alcohol and then peroxide. I was using a generic QTip. I am a large person, and cannot reach the end of my bellybutton. It seems bottomless, and forms a very small hole about 2 inches in. Is it ok to leave in there? I tried making it more lubricated by putting hand sanitizer in it, but I still couldn't get it out. Linda

Belly Button and QTip

I agree with the other doctors who have responded so far.

You can't just leave it there.

It could get infected and cause a problem.

Maybe a friend or family member can get it out with a flashlight and tweezers. Is this possible? If not, see your doctor for appropriate treatment. An outpatient medical treatment clinic should be ale to help also.

Don't worry, this has happened to many people!

If you had a tummy tuck- go see your plastic surgeon.

Hope all is well.

Dr Chris Saunders

Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Don't lose Q-tip in your belly button

Thank you for your inquiry. I assume that since you are cleaning your belly button with a Q-tip and peroxide, you have had a tummy tuck. Since you don't know where the cotton tip went, you should assume that it is not where it is supposed to be and needs to be removed. Call your surgeon to evaluate as soon as possible.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Cleaning Belly Button

See you surgeon ASAP for an exam. It is not OK to leave the Q tip in your navel. Follow his instructions for a good recovery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

I can't tell from your posting whether or not you have had surgery (tummy tuck), but either way it is not ok to leave it, If you have had surgery, it's hard to know if the the q-tip is in the navel or under the skin, and you should see your surgeon ASAP.

Otherwise seeing your physician makes sense. With some lighting and the correct instruments it should be easy to remove.

All the best.

Retained Q tip

It is definitely not OK to leave the Q tip inside. If it is just within your belly button, this is OK. But, if there is a wound and the cotton went into this hole that is not OK.