Is IPL pigment removal ok when you have Botox/fillers? Does the IPL diminish/break down the results of of the injectables?

IPL and Botox or fillers

IPL can safely be used after fillers, and can even be used to decrease any associated bruising.  There is a possibility for increased diffusion of Botulinums, such as Botox, as a result of edema associated with facial light-based treatment, which may result in facial asymmetry when these procedures are performed at the same visit.  Many physicians recommend waiting for a minimum of 2 weeks after a Botox injection before performing facial light-based treatments.

Charlotte Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

IPL after Botox and fillers

Thank you for your question thahnsolo. Often times for rejuvenating the skin many people choose a combination approach using injectable treatments such as Botox as well as energy-based treatments such as IPL. There are no studies to assess whether laser treatments affect Botox and fillers so the answer is that we do not know for sure. Laser treatments often times heat the skin and heat immediately before or after a Botox treatment may (or may not) cause the Botox to move, which can lead to side effects such as droopy eyelids, blurred vision, etc. I have not tested this myself so I do not know the answer and in my practice I recommend waiting one week between a Botox treatment and a laser treatment. That being said I know many doctors who perform both on the same day without complications. There can be some swelling with laser treatments and filler treatments. For this reason I normally do not perform filler treatments and laser treatments on the same day. Not because it is contraindicated, but because patients may have more swelling and require more recovery time with both treatments on the same day and many of my patients do not have a lot of recovery time. I recommend speaking with a doctor for specific advice. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

IPL, Botox and fillers

It is safe to have IPL treatments if you have had Botox and fillers.  IPL will not affect the injectables. Remember to use sun protection.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist