Is it common to have mole/s inside inner lips of vagina? If so, are they usually cancerous? Severe anxiety and very worried

I have a mole inside my vagina on the inner lip. I have had this for quite sometime, years actually, I never gave it much thought. But, after some research I am terrified this is cancerous. It is a flat, not raised , light-medium brown mole probably about 2mm. I am going to make an appointment to go see my ob/gyn this week, but I am very concerned. I have severe anxiety disorder, especially when it comes to cancer and just hoping this is normal.

Take a Breath :)

Hi Ladybug,

I think that I can reassure you somewhat. Both moles and lentigines (another type of dark spot) are commonly seen on mucosal surface (the inner cheek, the lips, peri-anal skin, vagina, etc.). The vast majority of these spots are benign. When a mole has been present for years without significant change, this is very reassuring. Always a good idea to go in and get evaluated for anything that is concerning you, but the size of the lesion and the history you describe are comforting to me.

Hope that helps!

Encinitas Dermatologist

Moles on vagina

Moles are merely clusters of cells, so they can appear anywhere on the body. They are not always cancerous so it is just best to have them examined by a professional, like you are going to do this week.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."