I chipped my front right tooth. How much does it cost to get this tiny chip repaired permanently? (photo)

My dentist repaired it using tooth colored resin but same day a piece came off...the last time he repaired it, it lasted for a few years. How much does it cost to get this tiny chip repaired permanently?

Maintaining tiny bonded chip repairs.

Maintaining tiny bonded chip repairs can be tough. It can be discouraging to have the tooth repaired multiple times.

In some ways it's like having your nails done, and then to have them chip again.

Another way of repairing the tooth would be with a veneer. With the picture you have provided I would NOT recommend a veneer, even though the argument could be made that it would be more "permanent".

I would encourage you to have the tooth bonded again with tooth colored resin.  And check with your dentist to see if an occlusal guard would be appropriate.

Around $200

The success of a small restoration on a front tooth like that is very dependant on how carefully your treat it.  If you tend to grind your teeth at night you might benefit from a nightguard.  It looks from the picture that you also have a small fracture on your other front tooth. In either case you can't be biting off hard things with your front teeth.  I would be reluctant to due some larger restorative procedure for such a small fracture.

Jeffrey Green, DDS
Seattle Dentist

Chipped tooth

A tiny chip on the edge of the tooth can cost anywhere from a little over $100 dollars to well over $1000 dollars depending upon the procedure and material used. Bonding tooth colored composite is typically several hundred dollars whereas a porcelain veneer can be over $1000. As you have experienced composite bonding while less expensive can be prone to repeated chipping. If you are looking for a long term solution you may want to explore if there are underlying issues that are causing the chipping. One frequent cause is teeth or a bite that is not in alignment. This can cause the front teeth to come together in a manner that puts too much force on the edges of the front teeth and in this case no material would be permanent.  

Graham T. Egger, DDS
Federal Way Dentist