How long after a hyaluronic acid injection can bumps appear?

I had hialuronic acid injections in my cheekbones in May 2011. A month ago a small, hard bump appeared under my left eye close to my nose. It is now about 3.6 cms. I went to several doctors and the dermatologist thinks it could be due to that hialuronic acid injected years ago. Could that be possible?

Bumps Years after Filler

Thank you for your question. It is unlikely your bump is the result of hyaluronic acid filler. It is not possible for HA fillers to last years later. If your bump happens to be a result of HA fillers you can have it dissolved with hyaluronidase. I recommend seeing an expert for future injections. Best of Luck!

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Bump years after HA injection

It is not possible for the hyaluronic acid to last 3 years no matter what kind you were given. If it is really related to the injection you may have been injected with something else--can you check and see for sure.

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

HA bumps after injection

It is highly unlikely that this bump (close to your nose) is the result of HA filler injections that you had in your cheekbone area over 5 years ago.  If HA is in question, you should be able to dissolve it with hyaluronidase.  Being that it is growing and now 3.6cms, I would have it evaluated soon and maybe even get a biopsy of this bump.  I would seek out a consultation from a board certified specialist ASAP.

Jason D. Bloom, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long after hyaluronic acid injections can a bump up here

Thank you for asking your question. It is highly unlikely for bumps to appear  years after the injection of hyaluronic acid. If you do have a bump due to this product being injected, you should consider having Vitrase injected to dissolve it. Make sure to have consultations with experts in the use of fillers. Best of luck. 

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon