How soon after getting Restylane injected would an occlusion of a blood vessel show up?

Yes, I am one of those.... I am paranoid of the risks and I want to know when I'm in the clear for this risk. It's been about 36 hours since I was injected and I want to stop being paranoid. So when does it normally show up if a blood vessel was injected.

Don't Worry--Filler Injections with Restylane

You are in the clear. An occlusion would show up immediately and would be associated with pain, redness, severe swelling, blisters. You may still have some swelling which will take 1-2 weeks to resolve. Best, Dr. Emer

Occlusion of blood vessel after Restylane

Occlusion of a blood vessel might be immediately apparent because the skin would turn white from lack of blood flow and the patient might experience severe pain.  Blood vessel blockage could also reveal itself in the first few days after injection.  It could show redness, bruising, swelling, pain, blisters, and pustules.  This type of side effect is fortunately very rare with proper technique.  You should call your doctor if you are having any side effects.

Regards,

Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Vessel compromise with filler

Usually if a vessel is compromised the problem shows up while the injection is being done so you should have no problem at 36 hours. If you are having severe pain contact your physician

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Facial fillers: signs of vessel occlusion

Facial fillers are injected to improve the volume, contour, and symmetry of the face. 

A rare, but known complication of injectable filler is occlusion or blockage of a blood vessel. During the injection, patients will experience excess pain and blanching of the skin around the site of injection. Your experienced injector can treat this immediately by dissolving the filler and improving blood flow to the area. By the next day, the skin will appear dusky. After 24 hours, skin starts to die. If you have a concern, you should bring it up with your doctor. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon