3 weeks post op Tummy Tuck, my butt is flat! My whole back side looks like a flat board. Will my butt return?

I am very happy with the tt and did have some lipo. I lost 25 lbs prior to surgery. My favorite body part has always been my round bottom and now when I put on clothes (with/without support garment) my back side looks so flat and unattractive.

Tummy flat after a tummy

Hello and thank you for your question. Assuming that you did not have an extended or circumferential tummy tuck,  then this most probably  be temporary.  A tummy tuck  alone or in combination with appropriate liposuction will not flatten the buttocks. A lower body lift or circumferential  tummy  tuck  can certainly flatten the buttocks. 
Give it time to settle down and I'm sure you will be happy. 
Peter Fisher M.D. 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post op Tummy Tuck, my butt is flat! My whole back side looks like a flat board. Will my butt return

Its too early at this point for you to see your final results.  I am assuming that your tummy tuck scar stops at your hips and does not go all the way aorund your waist.  This is temperary from swelling and should resolve. Maintain a healhty lifestyle for best results.  Best of Luck. 

#TummyTuck - 3 weeks post op my butt is flat!

I'm confused - why do your buttocks look flat if you only had a tummy tuck?  Did you also have lipo of the buttocks?  While lipo of the love-handles and surrounding regions is often performed in association with a tummy tuck (although there is a limit to the amount of lipo that can be performed at one time, or in association with a full tummy tuck due to wound healing concerns) your buttocks should, if anything, be that much more prominent.

Most likely, you have swelling from the surgery that has blurred the normal boundaries between different regions of the body.  You should speak with your PS about this but it takes many weeks or even months to see the final results after procedures such as these.  Some aspects are visible faster than others (such as the removal of a large skin flap at the front of the lower abdomen, or the diminishing of love handles) but at this relatively early stage it is difficult to fully assess what your outcome will be.  I suspect that your PS will be able to reassure you, particularly since only he or she knows exactly what was done and what therefore can be anticipated.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of RealSelf100

Time and squats

Weight loss alone can shrink your bottom and I agree, to let this resolve for a while.  Ultimately, you could do squats and even single leg body weight squats at home off an elevated surface (phone book to step) which will help shape your glutes, thighs and calves, burn calories and add to the investment you made in your body with the abdominoplasty.  Good luck!

Earlyy

I routinely and aggressively liposuction the outside love handles and hips with tummy tucks. Outer hips and butt can look wide early. Be patient, it takes 3 months for things to settle.

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Too early to judge outcome

You are so early after surgery that there is swelling which is obscuring your view.  If the butt was not specifically operated and you just had a tummy tuck with liposuction of the hips, then you should have return of the contours of the butt.

Without photos it is hard to comment on your question. I'm not sure how your back and buttocks became flat from a tummy tuck. You'll find that different surgeons have different approaches to a TT. Some do some liposuction, others do extensive liposuction. In my practice, my approach is to address the whole midsection of the person. This means liposuction of the abdomen, back, waist ,hips, fat grafts to the buttocks and a TT. In my opinion, if one does a TT with minor liposuction of the flanks, you can end up looking flat and wide without much improvement in shape. Wait 4-6 months to heal, and see if your surgeon can address these areas for you to give you a more feminine shape. Good luck.