What type of eyelid surgery is best recommended for my eyes? (Photo)

I'm of Asian decent and my eyes are seen with a very low crease near my lash line. I've been told that I have monolids by some, but hooded eyelids by others. I'm confused on what eyelids I have and which double eyelid surgery is best recommended given my eyelid type? When I open my eyes, I end up with a crease but due to opening my eyes wide (as seen in photo). When I look straight normally, the crease is unnoticeable and appears I have a lot of eyelid skin?

Asian Eyelid Surgery

Although an in-person exam would be necessary to provide a definitive answer, based on the photo you have provided it does appear you would be a suitable candidate for a suture-technique (DST) as your upper eyelids appear fairly thin.  The recovery is much quicker, and for suitable candidates it can provide a very nice result.  

It can be corrected with non-incisional double eyelid surgery.

Monolids and hooded eyelids are both correct terms but are addressing different aspects of your eyelid shape. Monolids emphasizes more on the fact that you don’t have a distinct eyelid crease (double eyelid) and hooded eyelids more to the skin redundancy. Both can be corrected with non-incisional double eyelid surgery. With this procedure you would get a more clear eyelid crease. Since this line would be higher located than your natural line it will help with the hooding also. 

Hyun-Taek Lee, MD
South Korea Plastic Surgeon

Asian blepharoplasty

The type of surgery you need depends on the type of eyelid crease you want.  You do have some excess skin and your eyelid crease is not well formed.  A full incision Asian blepharoplasty may be appropriate for you.  It'd be best for you to consult in person with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in Asian blepharoplasty.  That way, you'd be able to discuss with him/her what type/size of crease you like and he/she would be able to tell you if you'd be a good surgical candidate.  Best wishes.

Goretti H. Taghva MD

Goretti Ho Taghva, MD

Eyelid Surgery

Hi bluemartialartist,

Based from your photos, you most likely have single eyelid fold and weakening of the opening muscle of the upper eyelid (eyelid ptosis). While a personal evaluation is necessary to confirm this, the solution for single eyelid and eyelid ptosis can be done together in one surgery.

Somyos Kunachak, MD
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon