What type of eyelid surgery is best recommended for my eyes? (Photo)

I'm of Asian decent and my eyes are seen with a very low crease near my lash line. I've been told that I have monolids by some, but hooded eyelids by others. I'm confused on what eyelids I have and which double eyelid surgery is best recommended given my eyelid type? When I open my eyes, I end up with a crease but due to opening my eyes wide (as seen in photo). When I look straight normally, the crease is unnoticeable and appears I have a lot of eyelid skin?

Doctor Answers 5

You may be a candidate for DST aka Suture ask three-hole suture technique

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Morning, nice eyes.  The shape will make for a very good outcome.  Couple of things.  One, only seek surgery from experienced Asian eyelid surgeons.  An exam is required for a concrete plan for you but you appear to be a fair candidate for suture technique.  I still favor AT LEAST an hybrid technique for you where the incision with anchoring technique is performed in the lateral half of the eyelid and the inner half suture technique is used to create crease definition.

Best of luck

Chase Lay MD

Asian eyelid surgery specialist

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

Asian Eyelid Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Although an in-person exam would be necessary to provide a definitive answer, based on the photo you have provided it does appear you would be a suitable candidate for a suture-technique (DST) as your upper eyelids appear fairly thin.  The recovery is much quicker, and for suitable candidates it can provide a very nice result.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 64 reviews

It can be corrected with non-incisional double eyelid surgery.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Monolids and hooded eyelids are both correct terms but are addressing different aspects of your eyelid shape. Monolids emphasizes more on the fact that you don’t have a distinct eyelid crease (double eyelid) and hooded eyelids more to the skin redundancy. Both can be corrected with non-incisional double eyelid surgery. With this procedure you would get a more clear eyelid crease. Since this line would be higher located than your natural line it will help with the hooding also. 

Hyun-Taek Lee, MD
South Korea Plastic Surgeon

Asian blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The type of surgery you need depends on the type of eyelid crease you want.  You do have some excess skin and your eyelid crease is not well formed.  A full incision Asian blepharoplasty may be appropriate for you.  It'd be best for you to consult in person with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in Asian blepharoplasty.  That way, you'd be able to discuss with him/her what type/size of crease you like and he/she would be able to tell you if you'd be a good surgical candidate.  Best wishes.

Goretti H. Taghva MD

Goretti Ho Taghva, MD
Mission Viejo Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 64 reviews

Eyelid Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi bluemartialartist,

Based from your photos, you most likely have single eyelid fold and weakening of the opening muscle of the upper eyelid (eyelid ptosis). While a personal evaluation is necessary to confirm this, the solution for single eyelid and eyelid ptosis can be done together in one surgery.

Somyos Kunachak, MD
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.