Is Raised and Itching Skin Normal After Tattoo Removal? (photos)

This is my second session with quanta c plus laser. The first session healed great, but this time was different. Five days after my second treatment my skin was itching like crazy, and the area began to raise, it almost looks like a 3D object. I called my technician and she advised to use hydrocortisone. Is the raised skin normal or is this a sign of scaring?

Tattoo Removal

Thank you for your question in regards to tattoo removal. Blistering is not apparent in the photos you have poster, so scarring typically would not be expected once healed. Itching and a “raised” tattoo can happen to some patients after treatments. First treatments are both diagnostic and therapeutic, meaning it will give the provider an idea of how your skin will react along with an improvement of the tattoo. It makes sense that this occurred after your second treatment since the laser settings will typically advance after each treatment. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

Raised Tattoo after Laser Treatment

You can be having a localized reaction. Using a topical hydrocortisone cream will help with the itching and swelling. I do not see any blisters so you should not have any scarring. I recommend having this evaluated by your treating physician.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Red and Itchy after laser tattoo removal

You may be having a systemic reaction. I recommend oral steroids before and after treatment with antihistamines to help. See an expert for an evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer.

Raised tattoo after laser

This looks like it should after treatment but I don't usually see this 5 days later. I see no blisters or wounds so scarring shouldn't occur from this. You might want to see your doctor in person.

Steven F. Weiner, MD