PicoSure success rate for black ink clearance?

I was wondering how successful is the PicoSure laser when it comes to removing black ink? I understand that it varies patient to patient. I'm asking on average. I am looking to get a tattoo removed from my neck and I have two choices in my area. Medlite C6 or PicoSure.

Black Ink

Thank you for your question. Pico lasers are the most advanced technology. I utilize and prefer the PiQo4 laser which has 4 Pico wavelengths including the 1064 wavelength for black pigment. I think it is important not only to seek the best technology but an experienced laser tattoo removal provider. Best wishes. 

Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Choosing the best for laser tattoo removal

The picosecond technology is a faster delivery of laser energy so that the skin type is less suseptable to injury. Laser tattoo removal will take a series of treatments. Please see a cosmetic dermatologist who specializes in lasers and they can tell you which device is best for your tattoo or other condition.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Tattoo inks are highly selective for the color of light use for laser tattoo removal. 1064nm light works better on Black

Picosure is a 755nm red light laser that works extremely well on greens and blue and can also remove black with multiple treatments.  1064nm picosecond and nanosecond lasers are more effective for black ink in the spit tattoo treatments that I have done.  Medlite is a 1064nm nanosecond laser that works very well on black ink, but causes a bit more tissue reaction and a slightly longer healing time than the Picosure 755nm laser.  Both laser can be effective in treating your tattoo. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

​​Patience is the Key to Laser Tattoo Removal

Thanks for your question.  We have treated several black/blue ink tattoos with great success.  We utilize a PicoSure with 755nm for this color ink. 

After finding an experienced provider, the next thing you need is patience.  We tell every Pico tattoo removal patient to expect at least 6 treatments and don't be surprised if it is 10-12 or longer with thick tribal tattoos.  We see some patients twice a year and their tattoos seem to clear up to 6 months.  After using the PicoSure for 2 years, we have found it is best to wait 2-6 months between treatments.  There is a limit to how small the laser can break up the ink.  It's up to you and your body to take the ink away.  We encourage our patients to drink plenty of water, sweat it out and eat a healthy diet between treatments.

We recommend finding an experienced physician in your area.  Treatment prices vary by market.  You are trying to reverse permanent ink.  Good Luck and have patience!

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician

Picosure laser for black ink?

The laser is suboptimal for black ink. A 1064 wavelength is the best one for black. I think you would have better success with the Medlite. Enlighten, Picoway, and Piqo4 have 1064 wavelengths too.

Steven F. Weiner, MD