Which laser is the best option to fade this tattoo?

Hello people, I want to fade my tattoo so i can do a cover on it. Which laser is the best option to remove this tattoo? Picosure, Q-Laser, etc And how many treatments should do it? Thanks!!!

Tattoo removal

I would recommend Pico laser since it is the most advanced . Your tattoo has dark green and black from what I can see , the laser should be able to do its job . You might need 5-6  sessions for removal, more or less.

Montreal Dermatologist

Tattoo Removal

Q-Switch (QS) lasers, specifically the 1064nm wavelength, can remove blue and black ink as seen in your tattoo.  If your tattoo has some green ink, then QS Ruby (694nm) or QS Alex (755nm) may also need to be used.  In our office we use the Harmony XL with excellent results.  On average, it could take about 10 sessions, however it completely depends on the quality of the ink used.  I have had some tattoos resolve completely after a single session, and then others won't get significant fading until around 6-10 sessions.  Some of the newer lasers, such as the Picosure, may need less sessions and will have a faster procedure time.  Good luck!

Jennifer Rullan, MD
Chula Vista Dermatologic Surgeon

Tattoo Removal

Thank you for your question. Pico lasers are the most advanced technology. I utilize the PiQo4 laser which has 4 Pico wavelengths. Certain colors respond best to certain wavelengths. The amount of treatments can vary based on several factors such as the location of your tattoo, your skin tone, how sharp the ink is, and how quickly your body eliminates the ink. I think it is important not only to seek the best technology but an experienced laser tattoo removal provider. Best wishes. 

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Which laser is best option to fade tattoo?

Hello, thank you for your question and for including a photo. The latest technology in laser tattoo removal is pico-second technology. The PicoWay Laser (Candela/Syneron) uses photoacoustic impact/pressure waves rather than photothermal/heat.  This process has less heat, therefore it is more comfortable and the chances of hyperpigmentation are less.  The Pico-second pulse shatters the ink into even smaller particles, allowing the body to more easily absorb the ink. This new technology can usually remove a tattoo in about half as many treatments as the traditional Q-switch device. Depending on how much fade you want will determine how many treatments may be necessary.  I'm guessing that 4-5 treatments with a PicoWay laser will significantly fade the ink.  The Q-switch device will work fine, it just may be more treatments necessary in order to fade the ink.

Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

Black tattoo or Green tattoo

I can't tell if this is green or black. A black tattoo requires a 1064 laser. Start with a QS laser and finish with a Pico if needed. The green tattoo is best treated with the Picosure with it's Alex wavelength.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Tattoo Fade with Laser

Your tattoo is professionally done and has a high ink density. In general this situation requires more sessions to fade or remove than an amateur tattoo. Most likely you would achieve a good fade within 5 sessions. You should do well with either a high quality q switch laser such as the Astanza Duality (part of the Astanza Trinity system) or with Picosure given this mostly black design. Not all q switch lasers are the same- they vary widely in terms of power. Picosecond lasers will not necessarily remove ink faster, and they have more limited power than a high end nanosecond system (like Astanza) so resistant and deeply placed ink can be a problem for them. 

Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician