How long off work after sinus surgery?

Had sinus surgery for deviated septum and narrowed sinus areas 6 days ago. Stitches are still there (dissolvable) but I still have a lot of pain. Feel better with pain meds but cannot take at work.

Generally 7 - 10 days off of work

In general, most individuals can return to work after 7 to 10 days after the sinus surgery.  When discomfort lasts longer than this, I make certain that the patient return to the office for a nasal cleaning (debridement).  This almost always provides reduction in facial pain and pressure.  Also, the nasal irrigations will help keep the surgical sites cleaned and open.  It is ok to return to work if your must.  But try to delay until the 7-10 day time period.  

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Return to work after sinus surgery

As mentioned previously, it sounds like you are about where you should be for this time in your recovery. Usually I see patients turn the corner in about 7-10 days.  If you still have splints or packing in your nose, once those are removed you will feel some relief.The most effective ingredient in the pain meds for sinus pain is actually the Tylenol, not the narcotic.  At work, try taking just extra strength tylenol and take it regularly. Hope that helps and good luckDr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Operative Nasal and Sinus Surgery Questions

Most nasal and sinus surgery patients return to work within 7-10 of surgery and do not require narcotics for pain relief. Sometimes Tramadol or Tylenol offer patients a nice transition so that normal work activities can resume. Dissolvable sutures may take up to 6 weeks or more to disappear, so this sound normal. If you continue to experience significant post operative pain, discomfort or fever, see your physician for an evaluation. Sometime the nose and sinuses need periodic office based examination and cleaning by the physician. This should improve airflow and decrease discomfort too. Hope this reply helps. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Time away from work after sinus surgery

Hi, 10 days after sinus and/or septal surgery under general anaesthetic is about normal. Six days and still feeling a bit sore is about par unfortunately. I'm hoping to drastically reduce time away from work after some endonasal procedures. 

Raj Bhalla, FRCS, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon