Considering Kybella or chin liposuction for sub-mental fat? I have Hashimotos hypothyroid.

Considering Kybella or chin liposuction for submental fat. I have Hashimotos hypothyroid. Can I receive either of these treatments or do they affect the thyroid? I understand the Dr would need to do a complete assessment. Just wondering if in general I would not be a candidate....

Condtraindications to Kybella

Thank you for your question Bumpy17. Kybella is a non-surgical treatment to address the double chin. Any time a treatment is performed, one must be careful of the structures in the area. Hashimoto's thyroiditis is a condition of the thyroid gland, which is in the neck, near the area where Kybella is injected. Per the manufacturer's guidelines, those with conditions in the neck (difficulty swallowing, thyroid conditions, enlarged lymph nodes) are cautioned when having Kybella treatments. An absolute contraindication to Kybella is an infection in the area. Please consult with a doctor for specific advice. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Kybella should be ok with Hashimotos

Kybella targets the fat and should not affect the thyroid which is below the area of injection.  Kybella should not be injected at a site of active infection or near the submental nerves that run just under the mandible.  It should also be avoided in patients with a history of difficulty swallowing. 
Hashimoto's thyroiditis is an inflammatory condition of the thyroid, and will typically not be affected by treating the submental fat.  However, some patients with Hashimoto's will report discomfort with swallowing and tightness in the neck.  If you have these symptoms, then I would probably avoid both Kybella and surgery. You should not have any problems with an experienced injector who knows the anatomy of the neck.

Liposuction would also be possible in most cases.  Liposuction is a surgical procedure, and
you would want to be  certain that your thyroiditis has been treated and that you are no longer hyperthyroid prior to any surgery.  This is to prevent the risk of a rare but potentially life threatening condition of "thyroid storm" where an overactive thyroid releases too much thyroid hormone. A rare condition but something that we are proactive in trying to prevent.

Jonathan Hall, MD

Kybella & Thyroid condition

Having a thyroid condition, assuming that is is under control and your health is good otherwise, should not prevent you from getting Kybella. Schedule an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to be assessed in person and discuss. Chin liposuction is obviously more invasive so I would probably recommend starting with Kybella if you are a good candidate. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella is safe

As long as your thyroid condition is under control by an endocrinologist or your internal medicine doctor, this should not prohibit you from receiving either Kybella or chin liposuction. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

NO Thryoid Concerns with Kybella Treatments

Thryoid conditions are NOT a contraindication for getting Kybella treatments and the injections will not interfere with any medication supplements you might take. Kybella is injected directly into ONLY the subcutaneous fat under the chin so it will not affect your thyroid at all.

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician

Kybella on reaches the subcutaneous layer.

Thank you for your question. The Kybella injection only targets the fat cells in the subcutaneous layer. It will not affect your thyroid.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Kybella

Hashimotos is generally a self limiting disease. Your endocrinologist who follows you has undoubtedly let it run its course or stabilize on a low grade course  then supplement you with thyroxine. Kybella, works only on the localized fat tissues in the area it is placed. Given the anatomy, the thyroid is several fascial layers below that which is being treated and not be at risk. Further there are few reported systemic issues with Kybella. Lastly there are no reported autoimmune exacerbations associated with the use of the drug in my experience. Best wishes!

Kybella versus chin liposuction

Kybella is much less invasive then liposuction and its the most popular treatment in my office for submental fat. It should not have any affect on the thyroid gland as long as you are seeing an experienced injector who knows submental anatomy and is to inject Kybella in the proper location and depth. 

Kybella works. It's a great treatment for submental fat and I highly recommend it. 

Kyblella and Double Chin

I love Cool-mini and Kybella for the double chin and would prefer either over a surgical procedure. I often combine these treatments with Thermage for the best skin tightening results. Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

I suggest seeing an expert for treatment options as I find vaser/thermiRF work best to treat this area. Kybella and/or ultherapy are a non invasive alternative. I suggest consulting with a board certified dermatologist who has experience in this type of treatment as Kybella should not affect the thyroid when used by an experienced physician. Best, Dr. Emer.