Had Kybella done almost 3 weeks ago

It's been 3 weeks since my first kybella injection,I do not see any improvement yet, my question is about the Graf the docters are seen using in the videos ,the Docter I got the injections from did not use it, and did all the injections with out the Graf with all the dots. He did make several injections .I trusted him because he is very well known for other injectibles..I did ask the nurse why he didn't use it.And she said he did not need it.why do u use the Graf , and is it important?

No result after one treatment

The grid helps injectors keep track of where they have put the product and also helps to estimate how much Kybella one will get. I cannot speak for why your injector did not use it. As for your lack of result, I always tell my patients that they will need at least two treatments of Kybella to start seeing a difference. My suspicion is that you are going to need another treatment in about a week or two. Best of luck. 

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella results and grid

Thank you for your question gilik99. Kybella is the first and thus far only FDA-approved non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin. Most people required two to four treatments, sometimes up to six treatments, and improvement is seen slowly over time. So it is important to go through the full series and be patient for results. Kybella comes with a grid that is used to mark the skin in the area. This helps the injector decide where to make the injections and it is great for training new injectors. Those with experience are able to perform the treatment without the grid. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Temporary Tattoo to help placement of Kybella

The "grid" is a temporary tattoo that helps guide the injection of Kybella.  Generally 0.2 cc is injected near each "dot" so one vial of Kybella will treat 10 "dots" with most patients getting 2 vials of Kybella to treat 20 "dots".  At 3 weeks you may still have significant swelling so be patient.  Most patients start to see the real improvement starting by the 4th week and continuing through the 8th week as the fat goes away.  I find the grid to be helpful in planning and in administering the Kybella but it is a guide and not a requirement.  Good Luck- you should start seeing some improvement soon.

Jonathan Hall, MD

Using temporary tattoos with Kybella

Thank you for your question. Not everyone uses the tattoos for the treatment. However it is a very useful guide to allow for even distribution and planning for Kybella. I use it for that very reason, and also it helps as a way to document how many dots and how much Kybella used in each patient. 

Had Kybella done almost 3 weeks ago

Hello Gilik99,

The template you are referring to with Kybella helps to appropriately space out the injections (it creates a grid of dots that area each 1 centimeter away).  The grid does not affect the final result but it does allow for standardization of the injections to be performed.  

As far as not seeing a result at 3 weeks, that is not unexpected.  It takes multiple treatments (at least 2 and up to 4) spaced 6 weeks apart to get the final result.  With the first injection there is a lot of swelling which goes away over the first week and by 3 weeks there may be a subtle improvement at best.  

I would recomend you continue to follow up with your injector and recieve the appropriate course of treatment to get the result you want.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella -- FDA approved for Submental Fat, Non Surgical Option But Still New

Kybella takes a NUMBER of treatments typically 3-6 to see vast improvement.  In very small necks/chins, it can take a few , but still a series of treatments are needed.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Kybella Results

Since it's only been 3 weeks post treatment it's possible you need to wait a few more weeks to see results. With Kybella, good results are seen 5-6 weeks after treatment and optimal results after 2-4 treatments. Maybe get a second opinion from another provider. It can be that you are still seeing some swelling and/or bruising.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Kybella Template and results

The template (dots) to perform Kybella is important and provided as a guide to allow proper placement of each injection which will allow not only even distribution but maximize each injection point based on the amount of fat that can be covered with each shot. This also adds a layer of safety for you to prevent injecting too close to certain nerves and other structures we do not want to be treated with Kybella. 
Regarding seeing results: hang in there you still need a little more time and you will see promising results usually around 4-6 weeks. It is also important to know to achieve "optimal" results 2-4 treatments are recommended, this of course will depend on the size of the fat pad and ultimately your desired outcome.

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Kybella and Results

Kybella is an excellent permanent way to reduce the fat in the neck.  It takes more than 3 weeks and more than one treatment to have the expected results.  I always use the grid to mark the area which is what is recommended.  Please consult a specialist in this permanent injection.  I usually combine Thermage with Kybella for the best skin tightening results. Best, Dr. Green

Kybella temporary tattoo & results

Thank you for your question. It’s only been 3 weeks post treatment so it’s possible you still need to wait a few more weeks to see the full results. I tell my patients that they can continue to see results 6 weeks later and optimal results up to 3 months later. Additionally most patients need about 2-4 sessions of Kybella. When performing the Kybella treatment on our patients, we’ve always used the Kybella temporary tattoo to ensure accuracy and better results. There are some doctors that opt out of using it. If you are concerned with your treatment, I suggest finding a second qualified physician to review the area.

Bruce E. Katz, MD