How can I remove brown spots from ice pack burn during Kybella swelling? (photos)

I did one Kybella treatment 4 months ago. Did not see any change to be honest but got an awful ice burn from ice pack i used to reduce swelling. I now have dark brown spots and have tried bleach cream with no success. Anything else i can do? I am afraid they will get darker with sun. I regret doing this treatment.

PIH after treatment

Thank you for your question chispa.8. Kybella is a great treatment to address the double chin. Most people require two to four treatments, sometimes up to six treatments. I tell my patients to plan on undergoing at least two treatments before assessing results. Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) is seen in darker skin types and can occur after cuts, burns, sun exposure, laser treatments, ice, etc. PIH can be treated with a variety of topical products including hydroquinone, kojic acid, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, lactic acid, vitamins C and E, arbutin, licorice extract, bearberry extract, and more. Treatments include IPL, fractional laser, and chemical peels. Strict sun avoidance and sunscreen are critical. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Hyperpigmentation after Kybella

Thank you for your question and I'm sorry that you are disappointed with your Kybella treatment.  If you are dealing with some hyperpigmentation changes after Kybella, then you may want to consider using Tri-Luma to help clear the brown spots.  In addition, you want avoid direct sun exposure if you are not wearing sun protection (e.g. zinc oxide based sun screen).

Have it checked

Have it checked and likely you will be treated with retinoids or bleaching creams first.
Lasers will be used if you are not responding to the creams.

Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation -- Skin Lightening, Light Peels, microsecond YAG

This needs skin lightening creams, chemical peels and clear + brilliant. I suggest seeing an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Pigmentation from Burn

Kybella is an amazing injection.  I am sorry that you had such a bad experience and works on everyone.  I would suggest you use a bleaching cream and/or chemical peels to the area.  You are correct in that you cannot have this area be exposed to the sun.  Please do not attempt to correct this with lasers now.  Consult an expert for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Brown spots

Brown pigment changes can often easily be addressed in caucasian skin with IPL treatment.  You need to be assessed in person, but I would go to a medical spa or surgeon ( plastics/dermatology) who offers IPL treatments.

Rodney E. Schmelzer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon