What kind of lip procedure gives these bee-stung lips? (Photos)

I was scrolling through a website and came across a pretty actress, Dove Cameron. I noticed her lips looked unreal (the bottom lip actually looks turned out, and upper lips look plumped as well). low and behold I found some " before " pictures! Now I'm wondering if anyone knows which procedures give these results, as it doesn't look like the results normally seen with conventional lip procedures give (i.e. Fillers, silicone implant, etc). I love my lips currently, but these results are so cute!!

What kind of lip procedure gives these bee-stung lips?

Thank you for your question and for sharing these photographs.  I do feel that the majority of the after effects have been accomplished with the use of dermal fillers to the lip to accentuate the volume to the point of lip eversion when smiling.  There also appears to be some lip liner being done to accentuate this appearance.  Hope this helps.

Bee-Stung lips

This result was achieved with one of the hyaluronic acid fillers. The lower lip everts (turns out) when she smiles because the volume that has been added to the lower lip exceeds what her normal anatomy can accommodate. The muscles around her mouth pull to the side when she smiles, but they do not tuck in the lip itself at the same time, so her lip pops out.

It is important when performing lip augmentation to consider the results with the lips at rest as well as with animation. Most patients would not like this effect, since her smile does not look natural.  If you like the result, show these pictures to your board-certified, advanced injector dermatologist or plastic surgeon and be sure to discuss with him or her all of the potential side effects of having an everted lower lip.

Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Enlarged lips

Thank you for asking about your lip filler.

Lip implants do not create this unnatural look.
This is the result of lip filler, such as Juvederm or Restylane.
The turned out bottom lip may not be easy to live with -
The inside lip which is moist is now outside the lip - it will be dry and uncomfortable.
It is also possible that the look is from photo manipulation - most celebrities photos are extensively edited.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

I suggest seeing an expert.  Voluma does well with giving a larger lip with little inflammation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Hard to say

Thanks for the question.  Its hard to say based on photos.  Nowadays so many pictures are photoshopped.  She could also have different lipstick on to give a better look, and it appears she is pouting her lips intentionally in that picture as well.  The after picture is a professional model photo, whereas the second looks more like a candid photo that was not "setup".  That being said, fillers like Juvederm are the best products right now for lip augmentation.  There are some surgical procedures, but these are aggressive and leave scars.  Fat can be injected but requires liposuctioning from somewhere to do it.  HAs have become the mainline of defense for lip augmentation.  

Good Luck

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Beautiful Natural Lips

It is hard to say what this particular individual used (if anything) to enhance her lips; however, the best way to achieve naturally fuller looking lips is by using fillers. The fillers we use are made of hyaluronic acid which is a carbohydrate that naturally occurs in the human body. Because of this, the body very rarely has any adverse reactions to being treated with hyaluronic acid fillers, and they are completely reversible if the results aren't as desired. The amount of filler used depends on the patient's preferences, but it is much easier to add fillers if there doesn't appear to be enough, than it is to take away fillers from over-filled lips. The quality of the results ultimately depend on the skill of the injector. Make sure you do your research before allowing just anyone to inject you!

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

Hello, and thanks for your question. 

Fillers can be used to augment lips in a natural way, in the hands of an experienced injector. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip fillers

Lip fillers can be used to augment the lips nicely. They can look subtle or extreme depending upon your desire.

Lip fillers

Lips are not that easy to evaluate for naturalness. I have seen several patients that naturally have full lips. The full lips on the photos you have submitted can be accomplished with fillers such as Juvaderm and Restylane. Implants certainly last longerbut are frought with more serious complications.

Bee-Stung Lips

It appears that the lips were injected with either Restylane or Juvederm.  The photos may also have been touched up as well.  Best, Dr. Green