Top lip was injected more than bottom, would that cause more swelling in top? Will the swelling go down more in top? (Photo)

It's been a week since I received 1cc juvederm in my top and bottom lip. I told her I didn't want my top lip to hang over my bottom. I asked her if she put more in my top lip and she said no. My top lip was injected more times than my bottom lip. I still have slight bruising on my right side top lip and a little lump in center of top. I am worried my top lip isn't gonna go down anymore and if it's in fact filler, not swelling. I attached a before pic and pics I took just now (1 week later). Thx

Post filler swelling

Thank you sharing your post-op photos. It is a bit too early to judge final results at this point, I suggest waiting another week before deciding whether you want to make any adjustments. You might be happy with your final results and may not need any touch ups at that point. If you are still unhappy with your results, then some product in the top lip can always be dissolved or another option would be to add more filler to the lower lip to balance out the upper and lower lip ratio. Be sure to consult a board certified plastic surgeon for this procedure. James Lee

Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Post Filler

I cc sounds like a lot, but when divided between your upper and lower, it really isn't. I would give yourself 1 more week for any residual swelling to go down before you make any moves. You can always have some of your top filler dissolved or more added to your lower. Give it some more time first.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

I suggest waiting 2 weeks and if the lip still is asymmetrical reverse the filler or add more to the lower.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Final Result After Juvederm Injection To Lips

Thank you for your question and for sharing your postprocedure photographs.  Sorry to hear that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  After Juvederm injection, there is an immediate result, which you will see right away, and a final result, which you will see after 2 weeks.  Some postprocedure swelling is normal, especially in lips.  If your top lip was injected more than your bottom lip, then you are likely to have more swelling in your top lip.  Icing can help for up to 48 hours postprocedure.  Arnica can help to reduce postprocedure swelling and bruising.  Keeping your head elevated with pillows while you are sleeping can also help to reduce the time course of postprocedure swelling.  My best advice would be to give it a full 2 weeks to allow for any swelling to resolve and to see your final result.  At that point, if you continue to have any concerns, please see your injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Best wishes!

Why might the lips swell differently?

Dear Kati007,
That is a really interesting question that I had not thought of before. I have one idea to toss out. Swelling resolves as your through your lymphatics, and if it can run "downhill" it typically resolves faster. The bottom of your upper lip is a stopping point, and you may get more pooling of the swelling, while the lower lid swelling can run down easily into your chin and neck, helping it to go away faster. Granted I don't have any studies to back this up, but it may be one explanation.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after filler

Hello, and thanks for your question.

Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Will the swelling go down further?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs. If your upper lip was injected with more filler, or had more injections, it will cause an increased amount of swelling compared to your lower lip.  At only a week after treatment I would anticipate continued swelling to resolve and lumps to soften over the next 7-10 days.  You may want to consider cold compresses and sleeping with your head elevated to facilitate the process. If you aren't happy after an additional 7-10 days the filler material can be dissolved to restore your pre-injection appearance.  Hope this helps.

Top lip was injected more than bottom, would that cause more swelling in top? Will the swelling go down more in top?

If afterc10 days still swollen than to much filler injected. Now hyalurondase injection might decrease amounts but ONLY an expert injector should do. Fee $500. 

Top lip overhanging bottom following Juvederm injections

Thank you for sharing your concerns and photos. You might still have some swelling at this point. Sometimes dental anatomy (protruding forward) causes the lips to overhang if filler is injected. Additional Juvederm can be injected into the lower lip to compensate for the overhang or you can have the Juvederm dissolved and start from scratch. Wait a week more to be certain that there is no longer swelling. 
Good luck,

Lip Injections and Swelling

The swelling should go down after about a week to 10 days.  If you need more product in the bottom lip to even things out you should wait two weeks and return to your treating physician.  Best, Dr. Green