I did Kybella and day 3 I iced and got skin burned. Will this go away?

i had been icing after the procedure and for 3 days after. noticed my skin was gel like on day 3 and the ice burned my skin. I was very nervous contacted the office but they said it was normal. redness has not gone away.

Kybella and burned skin with ice

It is only necessary to use ice packs the first day after Kybella.  Over use of ice, especially with ice itself can burn the skin.  I would suggest you return to your treating physician for examination.  Best, Dr. Green

Hello chispa.8,

A true frost bite is not normal and would need treatment.  If you simply irritated the skin with the ice then this would be expected to improve.  The best recommendation is to be seen by your injector to evaluate the skin and make sure there is not a more serious problem.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella treatments and ice packs

Swelling and tenderness are common after Kybella injections.  To help alleviate these symptoms, most Dermatologists and Plastic Surgeons will advise applying ice packs to the treated area.  Be careful not to over-ice the area however.  Since some patients have decreased sensation after the procedure, rarely it is possible to damage your skin with ice packs.  I always advise patients to contact the physician who performed the procedure in the case of any adverse events.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question, chispa.8. Your post-Kybella skin is desensitized and requires time - albeit very short - to recover. I am glad that you contacted the office right away - it was the right things to do. Please continue to follow your board certified facial plastic surgeon's recovery guidelines diligently and carefully.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella/ burn to the skin

With kybella injection there is a possibility of decreased sensation- therefore, it is possible you did not feel the ice on your skin and it caused an injury. It is best to visit your dermatologist/plastic surgeon that injected you and consult if wound care is necessary. Best, Anita Gill MD

Anita Arora Gill, MD
The Woodlands Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella / Liposuction/ Radio frequency/ Cool Sculpting / CoolMini / Neck Laxity / Botox / Double Chin Treatment

I appreciate your question.

It is likely just a superficial tissue injury as your ability to sense temperature can be affected after a procedure like Kybella for the first week or so.  Please see your physcian to make sure there is not something deeper injuried.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Creating a frost bite can happen after Kybella injections since the area has almost no sensation after the treatment. just be careful and keep your follow up appointments with your physician.

Hope this hleps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Icing after Treatment

Thanks for your question.  This doesn't sound too terribly abnormal.  Just be careful with the ice as your skin has lost a little bit of cold & heat sensitivity so you might not feel when it is burning.   If you are still worried in a few days make sure to check back in with your physician. 

Cheers and best wishes,
Steven Camp MD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Icing after Kybella

Thanks for the question.  Icing after Kybella can be a little risky.  The Kybella will destroy the superficial nerves in the area making it difficult for you to sense hot or cold.  Therefore you may leave the cold pack on longer than you should and cause tissue injury.  I usually tell me patients they can ice for the first couple days but need to not place the cold source directly on the skin and should not ice for more than 5 minutes at a time every 20-30 minutes.  Its likely this is just a superficial tissue injury and should be ok, but you need to see your physcian to make sure there is not something deeper injuried.  Good Luck

Redness after Kybella

Some redness or erythema after Kybella is very normal. Yes, icing too long could cause a mild frostbite but most likely it will improve over the next couple days. 

Sumit Bapna, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon