Is combining microdermabrasion with micro-needling (dermapen) good idea?

I have a lot of rolling, boxcar, and ice pick scarring. I've been undergoing a series of dermapens recently every 4 weeks. I was wondering if it would help the effects of the dermapen if I added microdermabrasion proxcedures, 2 weeks after each dermapen. Or will this cause my scars to get worse?

Combining microdermabrasion with microneedling for scars

Mixing and combining modalities to improve the appearance of scars is always a good idea.  At our practice I recommend combining  chemical peels such as Skin Medica's Rejuvenize peel or VI Peel before Sublative Fractional RF series or CO2RE procedures.  In combining microdermabrasion with microneedling you are creating a similar effect of hyper exfoliating the outer layer of skin which gets better depth of penetration to improve the scars with the microneedling.  If you haven't considered PRP I highly recommend it as well as incorporating deeper peels in to complement your microneedling procedures.  Adding an ablative or non-ablative laser treatment would benefit you as well.  Rolling, boxcar and icepick scar patients should also incorporate Retin A or Retinol by Skin Medica in to their nightly regimen with a high spf moisturizer like the Elizabeth Arden Rx PRO SPF 50 in the day time.  Our patients love using Oxygenetix to help the skin heal and to camouflage their downtime after procedures.  It creates a thin mesh of fine natural mineral pigmented color and acts as therapeutic foundation in fourteen different shades.

Combining Chemical Peels With Microneedling For Ice Pick Scarring

I would recommend a chemical peel 3-4 weeks prior to your microneedling with PRP. We have seen excellent results for ice pick scarring combining the two treatments back to back. I would recommend a medium medical grade peel such as, ZO 3 Step Stimulation Peel, RevePeel, or VI Peel. Hope this helps! Dr Faraz

Microneedling and microdermabrasion?

Dear Superluke77:While effective for hyper pigmentation and exfoliation, microdermabrasion is not helpful for true scarring of the skin. What would be helpful, however, is combining Microneedling with PRP. There are also topicals and lasers that can help to resolve scarring, but Microneedling with PRP compared directly with Fraxel showed equivalent to better results, with less downtime and expense.All the best,Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD