My corneal thickness is 493 microns and my eye power is -8.00 on both eyes. Will lasik help improve my sight?

Too thin for LASIK

Based solely on your corneal thickness and prescription, you would not be a good candidate for LASIK.  The amount of tissue that needs to be ablated with the laser to fully correct for your prescription will be too much and will leave your corneas too thin.  

San Francisco Ophthalmologist

Corneal thickness of 493 and power of -8 both eyes. Will LASIK improve my sight?

You may be a candidate for the Visian ICL procedure. Because of your thin cornea it may be safer to go with the ICL surgery.

Robert T. Lin, MD
City Of Industry Ophthalmologist

Too thin cornea for LASIK?

you are at the limit for having a normal cornea, which is 500-550
therefore after a LASIK of -8  you would be at the limit of safe after
so you might not be able to get enhanced
just get a LASEK it is 10x safer and then you can get enhanced if nec

Emil William Chynn, MD, FACS, MBA
New York Ophthalmologist