Will the pucker in my tummy tuck incision go away? (Photo)

I am 23 days post op tummy tuck with muscle repair and lipo. I am healing pretty well but I've noticed on part of my incision it looks almost puckered up. What is the likelihood that will fade and fix itself? Will this require revision?

TT

Thanks for your question regarding your tummy tuck. All looks fine at present and the scar will settle with time. Keep in touch with your PS who can advise you regarding scar management and massage.

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Puckered Incision

Thank you for your pictures.  In my opinion, your incision looks fine.  The slight puckering will flatten over time.  

Will puckering in my tummy tuck incision go away?

Hi ksmeyer1,

Your appearance right now is very typical 3 weeks after a tummy tuck. Sometimes it may take up to a year for all the swelling to go down. Everything looks quite normal for where you are in your post-op course. Continue to take it easy and rest. The swelling should get a little better every week. 

If you want, call your doctor and let him/her know your concerns. Perhaps you can go in for a check and you will feel much better if you do,

Best Wishes,

Dr. Christine Rodgers

Puckering after TT

Thank you for your question. What you described is very common after TT. Usually settles in 3-6 months. Please continue to follow your PS

Puckering Incision

It is still very early in the healing process. The puckering may take several months to relax. Be sure to discuss scar management with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes on your recovery

Michael Zenn, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Will Pucker in th Incision Go Away

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

The best thing to do if you have questions about the healing process is to visit your surgeon directly to have the area examined and make sure that everything is progressing well. Good luck.

Puckering at incision line

Great question! Yes, the puckering you are noticing is normal following this procedure. All of your sutures will take a few months to 1 year to completely dissolve,  thus making your incision line flatter and more aesthetically pleasing.  I encourage you to continue to follow the post-operative instructions given to you by your board certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes! 

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Puckering after tummy tuck

Hi, 

This is fairly common after a tummy tuck and typically resolves by around 3 months. Talk to your surgeon about when you can start scar massage, as this can help speed that process. 

All the best in your recovery, 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Puckering after tummy tuck

Only 23 days, your skin is still maturing, settling, and stretching.  Discuss with your surgeon a routine of massage to help soften and flatten this area.  From the looks of things, it should just fine given time and prolonged massage.Best of luck!

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Puckering after tummy tuck surgery...

Yes, incision line irregularities and "puckering" do tend to improve significantly (if not completely resolve) over the course of several months. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.