How much is the average tummy tuck with lipo in Charlotte, NC?

So far I have had 2 quotes from surgeons that I was referred to by friends. One was for 11000 for both TT and lipo and the other for 8000. I will be paying cash instead of financing but my budget will allow for 7500.I will be bringing them more business from myself and from friends I work with in the hospital. Should I try negotiating the price?

How much is the average tummy tuck

Thank you for the question. When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider… are some of the potential variables involved.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery.

***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways. Best wishes.

Tummy Tuck Cost

The cost of a #tummytuck, #abdominoplasty, will vary based on many factors. There is the variable fee that comes directly from your surgeon for the procedure. You also need to remember that the fees for the facility, anesthesia, and any possible extra medical facility costs or potential overnight stay could add a great deal that you were not expecting going into the operating room. Always make sure that you are speaking to board-certified surgeons when getting quotes, and make sure that you get all of the details of what is including in the actual quote being provided. That will help you prepare for how much is already included from the doctor and aware of what may add to the bill when not already included in the surgeon’s quote.

Always shop around but...

Ultimately you are best off selecting a surgeon that you have rapport with and you trust. Seeking more than one opinion before committing to a surgeon can be very helpful in this process. Do not choose a surgeon based on price alone. When you are comparing prices, make sure you are comparing costs for the same procedures. Negotiating based on the promise of referrals may not work. If you do refer multiple patients to a surgeon, they may be more likely to offer you discounted services in the future. Good luck with your decision!

Tummy tuck, liposuction and costs

It sounds like you are doing your homework and seeing different doctors etc.  That is great.
 I suggest you make sure you are getting quotes for the same procedure so you are comparing equals.  When it comes to cost, and to your health and to a wonderful result, it is important to go with a board certified plastic surgeon, one with extensive experience and results to match and with a surgeon that you feel confident and comfortable with.  Choosing a procedure based on cost alone is  just not worth it.  

Paul Watterson, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Negotiating surgeon fees

I would strongly encourage you to pick the surgeon that you feel will give you the best result with the least risk of complications.  Experience and expertise cost more.  High quality at a cheap price is an oxymoron.  When you go to an upper end hair salon, do you try to negotiate down on the price because Supercuts can do it for less?   Since we're talking about your health and body, you may want to wait until you can afford the proper surgeon for the job. 

Surgery costs

You should negotiate for a lesser price.  You shouldn't negotiate for a lesser surgeon!

Consider having surgery outside of the city in a neighboring market.  You will often find excellent surgeeons that charge less, due to less overhead costs.

Michael Orseck, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon