How can I persuade my parents to allow me to have a nose job? (Photo)

Now that it's been unofficially confirmed that I have a diverted septum and that rhinoplasty is an option for me.I'm eager to undergo the surgery.The only problem is that I'm still only 14(soon to be 15)and I haven't mentioned anything about it to my parents.Money would probably not be a problem, but morally, my family has always been very oldfashioned.The thought of asking for a nose job as a teen seems like a sin.I have slight breathing problems (not terrible)and wondered, is it worth it?

How to get parents to approve nose job (rhinoplasty) ?

Fourteen is too young, you're not fully grown.  Wait a couple of years.  Your parents likely love you more than anyone ever will, and they will always want what is best for you, despite how things seem to be.  For many, well done rhinoplasty is life changing, and when the time comes (or even before), your parents may not need as much convincing as you think.  If they go with you on a couple of consults, you may not need to convince them because the surgeon explains the process, demonstrates outcomes, and they will understand how important this is for you.  At the right time, tell your parents this is something you will do.  If they know you are having rhinoplasty one way or the other, they will want to be involved, to advocate for you, and to be sure you are touched only by a talented and caring professional.

Rhinoplasty

THE FACT THAT YOU ARE ONLY 14 YEARS OLD IS A HUGE FACTOR SINCE YOU ARE STILL GROWING SO YOU MAY WANT TO WAIT A FEW YEARS UNTIL YOU ARE DONE GROWING AND THEN SPEAK WITH YOUR PARENTS AND SIT DOWN WITH A PLASTIC SURGEON AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Deviated anterior septum

Functional rhinoplasty will help you breathe better. It looks like you have an anterior septal deviation. Most doctors would advise you to wait till you have completed your growth spurt (girls 16, boys 18) prior to considering rhinoplasty.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Rhinoplasty Candidate at a later date

Since you are still so young it is best to wait to think about consulting surgeons for a rhinoplasty procedure or in your case a septorhinoplasty procedure. This would be a combined procedure the "septo" portion addressing your deviated septum and breathing function, and the "rhinoplasty" portion addressing the aesthetic changes you would like. In a few years you can discuss with your parents the fact that you are considering rhinoplasty surgery and explain how these changes would make you feel. If your parents agree then I would suggest seeking consultation with some rhinoplasty experts. During consultation bring your parents and have the surgeon perform digital imaging to show you the proposed surgical results. If your parents see that you are not altering your facial aesthetics and simply refining them then they may agree when they see the imaged photographs. Many parents think that rhinoplasty is a major altering of their children's features but when done properly and while still meeting the expectations of the patient minor changes will make a very natural looking nose that appears you were born with. This allows both parties to be happy in the end. I think ultimately parents want their children to be happy and have a good self esteem and sometimes this requires surgical intervention. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Talking to parents

Dear 6600KW

I think openness and honesty with your parents can help you grow as a person. That's how you can use their life experience and support to mature and succeed. I suggest you tell them how you feel and why. Then you can decide as a unit whats the next best step for you. Sometimes, you can approach your pediatrician who has known you all your life and have a joint discussion with your parents.
In general terms, you are on the younger side for surgery. I think most surgeons would perform a rhinoplasty on a 15/16 year old young woman who is mature and knows what she wants, why she wants it and has the support and guidance of her parents. Parents are usually more understanding than you might expect!!

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question but you are still be too young for surgery so wait a couple more years before approaching your parents and going on some consults. 

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD